Litter box issues after moving to new home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks,
My English has been always "spot" on using his litter box, but since moving to a new home and basically playing musical chairs with his room, he's no longer using his litter box. Does any one have some insight on getting him retrained to using the box again?

He's peeing on the left and right side of the cage and even goes right next to the box, but never in it any more. I don't keep him in the cage, which is a large dog cage with plenty of room. His box is in it as usual and this is the way he's always used it. I've kept the it around just in case I have to secure him, but he roams free within the room during the hours that we're not home and runs free upstairs when we are. Yet, he doesn't attempt to mark or even poop in any of the other rooms in the house, just around his cage. I have to admit, at least he's consistent.

Thanks for any help!

You should first create a controlled area and then slowly expand his surroundings. So it’s easier to clean up and also teach him again, where it’s okay to go ^-^

The same thing happened with my buck, he was determined using the couch as a litter box [emoji28]

I'm just amazed how any deviation from their normal routine will cause them to go just about any where other than the one place they've been accustomed to. I got him as a rescue and just recently had him neutered, so I've never trained him before. So basically it's back into the cage for him until he keeps going in the box, then let him have more room?
Thanks for your input.

Yeah, that’s how you teach the bunny to go in the litter box again. Also after a neuter, they might have become extra hormonal. So they can make quite a mess of everything.

Takes often just a few days to teach the bunnies to go in the litter box again. As long as you are more stubborn than your bunny and not give up [emoji23]

You should also make sure to use some smell that can hide the urine scent, after he have gone on wrong place. Myself often use water mixed with vinegar or I just spray perfume where I have cleaned.

If a bunny smell their scents, they will keep on going there. That’s a definitely fact :)

Latest posts

Back