litter box digging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niomi

Reaction score
My 9 year old rabbit has gotten into the habit of digging in his litter. He is having a problem of a watery eye. I am sure it is from his digging. I took him to the vet and she could find nothing wrong. She flushed out his eye and the problem went away, but it keeps happening. I think he gets stuff in his eye when he digs. Any ideas on where I could get a scatter proof litter box?

Chloebunny brings up a good point. When I hear about rabbits acting out of norm, especially with a destructive behavior, I automatically wonder about stress and discomfort. Certain tooth growths can cause runny eyes and discomfort/pain, which can lead to fixated digging, especially in a place where a rabbit used to feel comfortable using its teeth (eating hay in litter box).

I fostered four inbred rabbits before from the same family with teeth problems and watery eyes, but this is different. He shows no signs of depression and is a happy little guy, and a good eater. When his eye waters, I squirt it with eye wash and the problem clears up right away.

Chloe was also happy, hopping all over, and eating well but also digging at the tile a lot. The teary eye developed at the same time the digging started. I'd clean the eye and it would resolve for a couple of days. It wasn't until a couple months later when my vet discovered two teeth had spurs and another was completely dead and almost falling out...when she stopped eating. A quick vet check to confirm it's not a tooth might save a more expensive bill later and possibly any discomfort your bunny might be experiencing but hides well, like mine did. The digging stopped with the tooth issue resolved. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Chloe was also happy, hopping all over, and eating well but also digging at the tile a lot. The teary eye developed at the same time the digging started. I'd clean the eye and it would resolve for a couple of days. It wasn't until a couple months later when my vet discovered two teeth had spurs and another was completely dead and almost falling out...when she stopped eating. A quick vet check to confirm it's not a tooth might save a more expensive bill later and possibly any discomfort your bunny might be experiencing but hides well, like mine did. The digging stopped with the tooth issue resolved. I hope this helps.
I totally agree that a vet check is necessary, and that was the first thing I did when he got a teary eye. At 9 1/2 years old, he has had some changes, since he is not young anymore. I no longer use him for therapy, because if he get a little nervous, tears run down his face. He has black toenails, so I like to have the vet trim them. He hates going to the vet, and when he is there, not only do tears run down his cheeks, but his mouth and nose water also. I have never had a rabbit that does this.

I like the designs of the two litter pans pictured above. I went to youtube and found a homemade version of these boxes with the video "How to make a grate for a rabbit litter box." They us a fluorescent light cover, which if rather inexpensive and easy to trim. I think I will give it a try.

I totally agree that a vet check is necessary, and that was the first thing I did when he got a teary eye. At 9 1/2 years old, he has had some changes, since he is not young anymore. I no longer use him for therapy, because if he get a little nervous, tears run down his face. He has black toenails, so I like to have the vet trim them. He hates going to the vet, and when he is there, not only do tears run down his cheeks, but his mouth and nose water also. I have never had a rabbit that does this.
He sounds like such a sweet-heart. Perhaps if no tooth issue, tears are simply his way of communicating any discomfort-frustration, anxiety, fear, as well as pain. Very best wishes!

Latest posts

Back