Litter Box Digging, Any Suggestions Welcome!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianamairose

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old holland lop and she will NOT stop digging out ALL of her litter box. She has always liked to dig, I understand it’s a characteristic of a rabbit, but it has never been this bad. When I say she is digging out all of her litter box, I mean all of the contents in her litter box, no exaggeration. I have tried different litter, I have been putting lots of hay over her litter to see if that would get her to stop digging out the litter, I have just recently bought a big enclosed litter box to see if that would help, I have grass mats for her to dig on and I also have a box with paper shredding inside so she can dig in that in hopes that these other options would get her to stop digging in the litter box. She has plenty of toys and a lot of space to do whatever she pleases. She is getting spayed at the end of the month and I’m not sure if that will help at all? I have noticed she has been a bit more destructive than usual. I’m desperate at this point to not have such a big mess to clean every morning so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

It sounds just like her lady instincts have come. Spaying is sure to calm her down in such destructive habits, even if only by a small amount. Depends on the bun.
But until then, as blue eyes has suggested, you can try separating her from the litter by either a litterbox that already has a cleanable drawer-type pan (those fancier cat toilets) or one that just has soft mesh or plastic grids with holes that let her stuff fall down and stop her access to the litter itself. That should help redirect her behaviour to the other enrichment you've provided her with.

Try putting cardboard box full of whole newspaper in their and cut a hole in the side big enough for her to go in. When she starts destroying the box itself, then dump it and replace. If the litter box is too small for this then get a big Rubbermaid and make a cutout for her to get in and out.

This is what I use and it works great. I put wood pellets on the bottom, and set the grate on the pellets. I don't use the supports. It works great with just the light panel.
Awesome! I added legs / supports as an extra precaution, the grate will hold a 3 lb. bunny no problem, but with over 5 babies and mom it get a bit crowded and I don't want to take the chance of it breaking 😂

Latest posts

Back