List the top two mistakes you've made as a beginner.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my first rabbit from a neighbor less than 10 years ago. I am a constant researcher so new some of the basics. My 2 biggest mistakes both have to do with cageing. The cage that my neighbor had the rabbit living in and that I kept the rabbit in for a little while was too small to even be considered a hamster or mouse cage. It was probably 12"x8"x4" (LxWxH). It had a wire floor (which I do not have a problem keeping rabbits on) and SUPPER short sides. The rabbit could not sit up. The sides of the cage were just slightly taller than the rabbit when it was sitting down being as small as could be.

The next cage that rabbit was in was a plastic rubbermade tub that was probable 2'x12"-18". We built a screem top for it using some old window screen and 2x2's. That cage was MUCH better. Sneakers was only supposed to be in that cage until we build a big out door hutch for him/her. One day we left the rubbermade cage on the ground with the lid on and some books to keep the lid on it. We also forgot to shut the door to the room that the cage was in. Next time we went up there there was no sign of Sneakers. All we found was this weird ball. It was her stomach. My dogs had killed and eaten her in the couple of hrs since we last saw her. :pssd: There was no trace of fur or blood anywhere. I miss that little rabbit. :(

Wow...so many mistakes as a beginner due to lack of internet, improper info in books, and the fact that keeping rabbits was not exactly a science like it is now.

-Outdoor hutch with wire bottom.
-Cedar bedding in too small of cage when the rabbit was brought indoors.
-No hay (since the first rabbit got hay that was moldy, therefore killing him...so we stayed away from the stuff for years). Alfalfa-based pellets with mix-ins.
-Wire access. I lost several phone cords and even a computer cord to the mouth of a surprisingly still-living rabbit.
-Poisonous plants we didn't know about in our backyard. Actually found of my rabbits dead the next morning when we brought in pots with unknown plants. Found out a few days later that we had nightshade.

I now have an indoor rabbit with large cage, plenty of run-around time in a bunny-proofed area, unlimited safe hay, and a small amount of timothy-based pellets. Amazing what you can learn through your mistakes. Also equally amazing how much the care of an animal can change over 20 years.

For the first few days Alice lived in a cat carrier then afterwards still only lived in a small cage with all the carrots she could eat and muesli food, and i fed her iceberg lettuce! :/

It's so crazy what people used to think was ok... Mine main ones were
-Cedar bedding
-Not enough hay
-Barely any veggies and if they got them they would be carrots
-Unlimited pellets
-Purchasing from a pet store

1) not watching the weight drop of one my rabbits.

2) letting a boy and girl together

When I was a child we had several rabbits, a mixture of boys and girls, and whenever the local pet shop needed bunnies they phoned my Mum who would then allow them to breed. Thing is, we used to just keep all the boys together and all the girls together and one night two of the boys had a scrap and one clawed off a certain part of the other one! They were kept separate after that!

I was reasonable young when all this was going on and one day I managed to be the first to notice some babies had been born and I opened up the cage and stroked one of the babies. I remember wondering the following day where that particular one was and I still wonder whether the mother disowned it (or worse) because I touched it and feel guilty.

The one time I have had a go at trimming one of my rabbits nails I managed to hit the quick and it was days before I stopped apologising to him and sneaking him extra treats through guilt. The vet and the lady they board with when I go away (very experienced in nail trimming) do them now!

Snickers is my first rabbit, who is 3 years old now. there is a lot that i would change so its hard to choose…

1. buying her from a breeder. i am extremely pro adoption so i don't know why i bought her. spaying her was over $400. i feel ashamed that i can't say i adopted her (which would have only been $75, spay included). the breeder was very nice though. ADOPT!! ADOPT!! ADOPT!!

2. not educating myself enough on the smaller details. her box was not roomy enough for when she grew (though she can still fit in it), lack of toys, i should have known our winters would be too cold for her (she is indoors now), and i wish i started her with a DIY c&c cage rather that the hutch we bought her for indoors. it is a decent size hutch but a 3x3 cc cage would be nice...

I'm pro adoption too but somehow it never seemed to work out for me.

I set myself to rehome a 4 year old mini lop called George but when I went to collect him I questioned a large lump on his cheek which, long story short, ended up being something quite serious and the vet I saw him with (with a member of staff, I was rehoming him from a large pet shop who have a small adoption centre run on behalf of a small local rescue) advised me that he probably wasn't a suitable rabbit for me to take home to be a family pet when he may not be ok and even if he was it was going to be several weeks of intensive treatment. I was gutted, crying in front of the poor vet and the member of staff brought in a baby boy from stock who is now my Barnaby and I just went with it as they had no other rabbits in their adoption area at the time. George did recover eventually and went home with a member of staff from the pet shop.

I very quickly got my Grace who was bought on a whim really as I was advised Barnaby should have a companion and I thought another baby would be most suitable.

When I started my little lop pair I again went looking to rehome, not necessarily from a rescue though, just an unwanted adult and got my Dexter who is 3. The first three months were a nightmare. He hadn't been looked after properly and came to me with all sorts of issues resulting from poor diet and dirty living conditions, such as lice and sore hocks as well as a constant digestive upset. He's now fine however and is the most affectionate bunny ever but he has cost me a small fortune in vets bills, special food and probiotics, lice treatment, teeth filing, etc.

I wanted a companion for him but didn't want to risk that again so I looked at proper rescues but, knowing she would be the last, I was fussy and ended up buying Daisy from a local breeder I had visited before and so knew she was a good one who cares for her rabbits.

I was also turned away by 2 rescues because their policy is to only rehome where the rabbits run is permanently attached to the hutch which I can't do. I do however feel I could have made more of an effort and been more determined to adopt but I wouldn't swap any of them now.

Last edited:
I did a lot of research before bringing Fudge home, so even though I still learn everyday, I've managed to avoid any major mistakes!

I agree on the adoption though. We've only had Fudge for a few months, but I feel kinda guilty for getting him from a breeder and not getting one from a shelter. He's an amazing bun though and I wouldn't trade him for the world, but yeah, I feel kind of bad telling people where we got him from, knowing how many buns out there are looking for a good home.

The only other mistake I've made was thinking that a 60cm tall pen would keep Fudge from escaping.. And after watching him jump straight over it, thinking that an improvised cardboard roof would hold longer than a few weeks :p (we've now made an escape-proof chickenwire roof).

This was 30 years ago or so. Washing my rabbit and using cat flea shampoo. Also letting him swim in the pool. Never again.
Other mistakes: no hay, no veggies, using cat litter, not neutering.

Latest posts

Back