Lionheads and Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Luvbun

Reaction score
Alright lionhead bun owners, i need some SERIOUS help for my poor little fella.
He seems to ALWAYS get hay stuck in his fur (I'll attach photos when i see him next after his feeding) It gets in his cheeks, in his chest and his underside of his back legs and tail area.

My problems are:
that he is harshly timid of touch (he was abused and then abandoned outdoors in an old grocery store lot, when he was only 4-6months old) and i have to trap him in order to do any grooming 😕 as well as him having intermittent soft cecotropes (ISC).

So i need to know:
what the best hay would be that won't get stuck in his fur?
And if anyone has tried oxbow hay stacks, would you suggest i try leaving it in puck form instead of breaking it up?
Also, what are your thoughts on hay feeders that would require them to eat with their head up to get it opposed to it being at ground level?
Thanks in advance for the help 😍

Hm i never had that problem, i do trim her fur on the bum and sides. And i do have hay only in her litter box. Maybe mine is not that fluffy?
With my rabbit hay feeder was useless, because she used to take out all the hay from it the moment i top it up, and dump it on the ground.

Your bun is certainly very fluffy, so I can see how it could be an ongoing problem. I know for show rabbits with long fur like angoras, coat grooming is often done with a grooming blower. That might be a good hands off grooming option if your bun will tolerate it.

Other options would be learning how or paying someone experienced, to trim the coat short, though this could be too stressful for your bun. The least desirable option, though maybe the only doable one based on the nervous nature of your bun, would be to switch from loose hay to a plain grass hay pellet like Standlee timothy or orchard grass pellets. I've had to use them in the past for a new bun that wasn't used to and refused to eat loose hay(not due to dental issues), and it worked well until I could get him used to eating loose hay. Of course loose long stem hay is the best to be feeding rabbits, but if this is causing considerable issues that can't be resolved in any other way, grass hay pellets might be the only alternative.

https://standleeforage.com/products/certified-timothy-grass-pellets
Hay pellets would be a better option than hay cubes, as hay cubes can be hard for them to chew and actually consume. Hay pellets, though larger than normal pellets, can usually be chewed right up by rabbits. At least my rabbits never had a problem eating them as long as the pelleting process didn't make them too compressed and hard, which only happened once with one bag.

Cecal dysbiosis(mushy cecals) is most often due to insufficient fiber in the diet and/or too many carbs(treats, pellets). So that is usually resolved by increased hay consumption and decreased treats/pellets. There are some health issues that can cause this as well, diet imbalance is just the most common.

https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/

Yes he certainly has grown into a fluff ball 😆
I do have a bunny groomer come every month and a bit to do his and his wife's nail trim and she brushes him out on his undersides and Shaves it down some of he needs it (do to the ISC) but it doesn't help with the hay getting stuck in his cheeks and chest. It's usually flower type hay pieces that get caught in his fur.
This is what I have given him in the past and what I'm wondering if I should just leave in puck form 🤨

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201121-194350.png
    Screenshot_20201121-194350.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 3
Ok so this is him after a feed 🤷‍♀️
Omg... Im sorry I laughed so hard he's literally so cute I can't!!! My lionhead isn't as fluffy but I had that some problem when he was really young, I use oxbow Timothy/orchard grass mix and it doesn't stick to him at all anymore ! I don't know why? But it works and he loves it.

Omg... Im sorry I laughed so hard he's literally so cute I can't!!! My lionhead isn't as fluffy but I had that some problem when he was really young, I use oxbow Timothy/orchard grass mix and it doesn't stick to him at all anymore ! I don't know why? But it works and he loves it.
That's great 😆
Trust me, he is too cute with all that fluff.
A lady at the pet food store I get hay and pellets from said his fur is different than her lionhead's. So maybe he's got Angora or something.. idk.
I just know I love him and all his quirky goofyness 🥰

That's great 😆
Trust me, he is too cute with all that fluff.
A lady at the pet food store I get hay and pellets from said his fur is different than her lionhead's. So maybe he's got Angora or something.. idk.
I just know I love him and all his quirky goofyness 🥰
Lionhead can have all different types of manes and such so definitely can be confusing! He is truly adorable 🤩

You're rabbit is literally so adorable! Its made my day. I have one that is really fluffy like yours, but I don't experience that problem. Maybe because yours doesn't groom as much (some rabbits don't do well with grooming) or maybe it is the hay. I use timothy hay, but try to avoid small pieces.

You're rabbit is literally so adorable! Its made my day. I have one that is really fluffy like yours, but I don't experience that problem. Maybe because yours doesn't groom as much (some rabbits don't do well with grooming) or maybe it is the hay. I use timothy hay, but try to avoid small pieces.
Thank you 🥰 his young 1 1/2yr old lop wifey is just as adorably cute 🤣
Then I got a huge 24lb fat fluffy fuzzer feline to protect them.

I do buy hay in bale as well because it lasts me a few months but then he gets these stuck in his fur, so I can't win 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_20201020_120325860.jpg
    IMG_20201020_120325860.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201121_200822216.jpg
    IMG_20201121_200822216.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 5
Lionhead can have all different types of manes and such so definitely can be confusing! He is truly adorable 🤩
Thank you 🥰
He has come a long way and we are slowly moving into actual grooming time, him and I. He does get a groomer come in every month and a half to do nails and shaved his hinds.
Due to his beginning of life, I never want him to be fearful of me so I have gone slow with him, given him the say and earned his trust to what we have now.

Reactions: Mei
Thank you 🥰
He has come a long way and we are slowly moving into actual grooming time, him and I. He does get a groomer come in every month and a half to do nails and shaved his hinds.
Due to his beginning of life, I never want him to be fearful of me so I have gone slow with him, given him the say and earned his trust to what we have now.
Awe that's wonderful. You are doing great! Even if it takes a long time, when you earn your buns full love and trust, it's the most accomplished and beautiful feeling 🤎

Latest posts

Back