Lionhead Shedding Manes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolia

Reaction score
I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS about lionhead hair in particular!
1. Is it normal for them to shed out their skirt while molting?
2. Do older rabbits start to grow more fur on their faces? Does their mane consume their face gradually??
3. Do some double manes simply not grow a long skirt? (This boy was born with the double mane bald patches so we know he’s homozygous for the mane gene)
4. How often do you groom their manes?

I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS about lionhead hair in particular!
1. Is it normal for them to shed out their skirt while molting?
2. Do older rabbits start to grow more fur on their faces? Does their mane consume their face gradually??
3. Do some double manes simply not grow a long skirt? (This boy was born with the double mane bald patches so we know he’s homozygous for the mane gene)
4. How often do you groom their manes?

1. Yes, from what I've seen, they also molt out their skirt
2. From what I've seen the younger rabbits tend to have more fur on their faces. Perhaps not as long of fur, but a larger portion of their face is covered in fur. Can be an issue in shows as they don't want any fur lower than the eyes and it can take some times for their faces to clean up.
3. Some rabbits simply don't grow a long skirt. It's controlled by other genes as well as the mane gene, and it often takes a lot of selective breeding to get rabbts with long thick mane and furnishings.
4. Now this one I can't say, I've never owned lionheads, I just judge them at shows.

Latest posts

Back