Lionhead question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoecat6

Reaction score
I have 2 lionheads one is a full blooded, and one is a lionhead mix. When I first got the mix she had the characteristics of a lionhead with the mane, etc. As the months have gone by she has lost all of that extra hair. Is this normal and permanent or will the lionhead characteristics comeback. I love her either way I'm just curious.P.S. she was about 5 months when I got her, now she is about 7 or 8 months old.

Oh well, I still adore her anyway, she is just the sweetest little girl. Just curios if it happens also to purebred lionheads by what age does it usually happen?

zoecat6 wrote:
I have 2 lionheads one is a full blooded, and one is a lionheadmix. When I first got the mix she had the characteristics of a lionhead with the mane, etc. As the months have gone by she has lost all of that extra hair. Is this normal and permanent or will the lionhead characteristics come back. I love her either way I'm just curious.P.S. she was about 5 months when I got her, now she is about 7 or 8 months old.
A lionhead mix is unlikely to keep the mane, however, I have here an F3 lionhead (not yet considered purebred) which will probably keep her mane as her mother has done. She is almost 6 months old so I will wait and see but it is very full.

The lionhead genetics is fascinating. You can have a lionhead with one mane gene and it will show the mane when it is younger - often winning shows as a junior. Or the lionhead may have two lionhead genes (getting one from each parent). In this case, it frequently will have too much wool as a junior and needs to shed much of it out before it can be entered in shows. Many double mane gened lionheads will continue to regrow their mane after they molt- some will not. I do have a list somewhere of several lionheads that regrew their manes after molting and were known to passt hat trait on to their offspring.

I would think Zatch would keep his mane as he is double-maned in his genetics and his mother still has her mane - after 5 litters.He may lose it when he molts and have it return over time.

I have a single mane lionhead who is 18 months old and everytime he molts, his mane comes in more dense and with more fullness to it. He is from imported stock (I think his grandparents) and it may come from those genetics.

Anyway, my point is that with lionheads, it is possible to have them regrow their mane after molting. Some bloodlines of lionheads are known for doing this.

You can find out more information about lionheads at:

http://www.lionhead.us- including information about their National show this upcoming May in Columbus,Ohio.

AmberNBuns wrote:
Wow ElRay, that was very informational. Thank you so muchfor posting, and Welcome to Rabbits Only! Glad to have youaboard.:)
You're welcome. I've been here before and loved it.

Linz_1987 wrote:
Wow that is so amazing. I never realised they lost their manes! Thats a real shame really! :(But im sure they are still cute as anything!
Most lionheads that I know of will lose their manes when they molt -simply because they are molting. The trick is to buy lionheads that will regrow their manes when the molt is over.

Now, I'm not saying this simply because I'm a breeder - ok?But the trick to getting a lionhead that will keep its mane - is to visit with a breeder and buy from them AFTER talking to them and getting information.

For example - ask to see the parents of the rabbit you are considering. Do the parents will have their manes? (Remember though that mom may pull from her mane when nesting so don't be too suprised if mama looks ugly).

Ask to see other older offspring from the same bloodlines. Do they still have their manes?

Make sure to ask if the litter you are looking at are double maned or single maned (or both)?

You see - each parent carries either one mane gene (single maned) ortwo mane genes (double maned). If you breed two double-maned parents together, you can only get double-maned babies. Ifyou breed a doublemane to a single-mane, you will get something like1/2 singlemane and 1/2 doublemaned. If you breed two singlemaned together, you get 1/2 singlemaned, 1/4 double maned and 1/4no-maned.

Even if you plan to get a pet quality lionhead from the breeder, I would ask to see the pedigree of the parents.Somenames to look for on the pedigree (these are lionheads that were known to keep their manes) are:

Tuborg

Cimmaron's Bonnie Bear

Cimmaron's Bonita Bear

Cimmaron's Binty Sue

Lindler's Zebade

and Cimmaron's Firebear.

If you're really looking for a show quality lion head, I like Pridelands, DJ's and Kadie's Kabbage Patch, along with LegendaryMinis. Unfortunately - all of those are on the West Coast(California, Oregon & Wa. state). But they do ship. I'm sure there are others - but these are the ones I hear the most about and know that I will be adding because of the quality of their rabbits.

I hope I've made some sense here. If you have any questions, please ask.

I was first drawn to lionheads for their manes - and I do love that. But I find them to be so people-oriented (if handled at a young age) and curious (yet not overly troublesome) - that I think they are a great rabbit for a family or even a younger person. Some of my lionheads are cuddlers....others care more about playing. So each one will have its individual personality.

Latest posts

Back