Lionhead eye problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello my lionhead has woken with a red eye looking like this ... I combed through the fur around it & used a wet cotton bud to try and get out the “fluid” from her fur ... it was still sore and red but thought i would wait until the next day to see if anything heals overnight ... however this is what it looked like this morning ... is this a serious problem?? I am hoping to take her to the vets tomorrow (as it’s Sunday today and her vets aren’t open) but due to lockdown I don’t know whether this is a serious problem that I should be going out for ??

help and advice please!

Thank you so much :) x

(Attached is a photo of her other eye... which is what it “normally” looks like so you can see the difference)

Attachments

• 8F96546A-C2AA-4561-948B-2DC3A72A1B9E.jpeg
    8F96546A-C2AA-4561-948B-2DC3A72A1B9E.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 12
  • 03706FC6-4DC1-4BDF-ACDC-7C949A967307.jpeg
    03706FC6-4DC1-4BDF-ACDC-7C949A967307.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 12
You should take her to a vet while it’s not that bad. In worse situation it can get worse and cause more pain for her.

You can try to use a saline solution and wash the eye. You can make the solution easily with water and salt. Google the recipe or if you just have normal eye wash you can use that :)

Hi, is the other eye fine? It could be just dust or something in her eye caused this and can be more serious problem, sometimes it can indicate problems with teeth. I would make a compress with black tea just slightly warm and hold with a cotton pad on her eye for a few minutes, maybe 2-3 times a day. If this is just allergy or dust it will help to reduce redness and if there's some other problem it won't hurt anyway. If it's back to normal after 2-3 compresses great if not maybe it worth to see your vet. Hopefully nothing serious. My lionhead Fred had same eye a couple times during the past year and tea compresses helped next day his eye was fine.

After you've flushed it with sterile saline, if it doesn't look better by tomorrow then definitely take her in as she may have scratched her cornea or be developing conjunctivitis.

Thank you everyone! I’m going to try a saline solution as seems the most recommended treatment. A few have said about a tea bag as well I might give that a go... I will call the vets in the morning and update you all ! Thanks so much for all your time!

Hey guys just an update!

I took her to the vets the following morning, they said I was lucky I brought her in in time as she had a shard of hay embedded under her 3rd eyelid! It’s caused a large ulcer on the back of her eye as well as conjunctivitis!😢 I’ve got 3 lots of antibiotics; 3 eye drops a day, 3 drops of eye gel per day, and a medicine to be fed with food 2 times a day.

She had a follow up appointment this morning (3 days later) and they said she’s doing well but still have a small ulcer so I have to carry on treatments.

I’ll update you all on our 3rd checkup on Thursday❤️ Thank you for all your help!

Heres a pic of her this evening enjoying the sunshine😘F19CC51B-B3C9-4C02-B618-5FC053E40625.jpeg

Hey guys thought you would all like a update! 5 weeks later & 9 vet appointments later ... she’s BETTER!😍🥰 thank you all so much for all of your help at the start I’m very grateful for all your advice ... I love this page!❤️

Here she is with lots of her fave foods to celebrate when we got home 💛3689864E-A40F-4971-B05B-82DD83C18C0C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back