Lionhead brush recommendations?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshAndMaple

Reaction score
Hi, I have two single-maned 4-month-old lionhead mix bunnies.

I use the hairbuster comb, a flea comb and a slicker brush to groom them. I find the mane on my male (Ash) in particular is always a mess no matter how often I brush it. I don't know if it's because he's a mix, but the hair is frizzy - the texture that anyone who's taken a brush to curly hair will recognise! I use the flea comb on his mane the most because the hair is very fine, but he constantly gets hay and litter stuck in it, and it just knots up again within half an hour of me brushing him. I wondered if there was a better way to do it? If it was my hair I'd put leave-in conditioner in it, but obviously I can't do that on a bunny!

This is Ash 🥰PXL_20221207_214254125.jpg

He’s adorable! I use a blower for my Lionheads and a straight comb. Never tried a brush. Not all bunnies will tolerate it though, so start slowly. It has the added benefit of removing dead skin and won’t damage the hair.

He’s adorable! I use a blower for my Lionheads and a straight comb. Never tried a brush. Not all bunnies will tolerate it though, so start slowly. It has the added benefit of removing dead skin and won’t damage the hair.
That's really interesting, I'd never of thought of using a blower. He is really cute! So is his sister 🥰PXL_20221213_204601158.jpg(She was spayed a month ago, hence the funky haircut! 😂)

This is my lionhead cross, Peanut. He loves to dig in the mud, dive into hay and any number of other messy activities. I have a hugely wide tooth, but slightly soft, comb that I use to just get straw and mess out of his fur and a proper rabbit grooming brush from a pet shop. The rubber over the hand brushes and human baby brushes do not work for him. As well as giving him a quick treat and a groom every day I look out for matted little knots. Once he’s had a groom I let him do what he wants during the day.
It’s getting them used to the idea that takes a bit of time, even if it’s 2 strokes of a brush on day 1 and gradually increase. I try and make sure he can always see properly and not get into a pickle down his back end… even if that means a gentle trim using 2 people and tiny, round ended scissors.

Attachments

• 54B9EFF8-6367-40CF-B97C-4CB9F0C82A9C.jpeg
    54B9EFF8-6367-40CF-B97C-4CB9F0C82A9C.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
  • C0DE2A76-971A-44A3-99D0-5198948AF678.jpeg
    C0DE2A76-971A-44A3-99D0-5198948AF678.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 1E3F2493-A587-4D2A-9235-4269A80BE483.jpeg
    1E3F2493-A587-4D2A-9235-4269A80BE483.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1
Here are my gorgeous boys. Cross Lionhead and angora and goodness the fur that they shed is intense. These guys don’t love being touched tho and so we generally just chat nose to nose with this agreement. Grooming leaves them very offended for a day or two lol! But it has to happen! Sorry for my ignorance but what is a blower? A hair dryer? Could be a South African lost in communication moment. Always ready for a new tip. Also building the courage to clip their nails for the first time!

Attachments

• 68EEB8E6-BC3F-4756-B370-8F183E4480CA.jpeg
    68EEB8E6-BC3F-4756-B370-8F183E4480CA.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Here are my gorgeous boys. Cross Lionhead and angora and goodness the fur that they shed is intense. These guys don’t love being touched tho and so we generally just chat nose to nose with this agreement. Grooming leaves them very offended for a day or two lol! But it has to happen! Sorry for my ignorance but what is a blower? A hair dryer? Could be a South African lost in communication moment. Always ready for a new tip. Also building the courage to clip their nails for the first time!
They are so pretty! Lionhead buns are funny. Mine are divided. Several of them are really friendly and love being pet but the two BEW are not having it! Super friendly and will interact with you all day long but no hands please! Luckily they don’t have super thick coats like the others.

They're gorgeous!

Nail clipping is fine once you get used to it, I'm a dog groomer and honestly the principals are the same! It can be tricky if you have a bun who really hates it, but try to get them used to you handling their paws before trying anything.

Have some cornflour/cornstarch on hand, if you hit the quick and they start bleeding just tap some cornflour onto it and hold the paw for abt 10 seconds so they don't wipe it off. The cornflour will stop the bleeding. Otherwise, you can buy products like Trimmex that do the same thing.

When you look at the end of a nail that is short enough, in the middle of the circle there will be a dot where the quick is. If you can see the dot, don't go any further or they will start bleeding. I like to position the clippers, give a gentle squeeze so they press against the nail without going through, and if there is no reaction then I cut the nail. If they react, then I'm probably about to hit the quick, so I stop and reposition the clippers.

If in doubt, try to cut them so they're still too long. And give your bunny treats so they associate nail clipping with food! It's okay to make mistakes, and if you accidentally hit the quick your bunny won't be in pain for long, just make sure the bleeding stops and give them treats and pets to let them know they're okay.

Latest posts

Back