Lion-Lops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Billy Sunny is amazing. I'm sure it was careful breeding rather than pure chance that her ears stayed down so much

Actually i have one more question to Peg: What did Billy Sunny's siblings look like? Where they as lopped as he was?

Here is a picture of one of his sisters...

DSCN2422.jpg

DSCN2420.jpg

I don't remember about his other siblings as they have been rehomed.

Here is the litter when they were really young.....I didn't know if they would lop or not.

December9lionlops3.jpg

December9lionlops1.jpg

She is beautiful. I assume the ears did lop fully in the end. I wonder if my girl, Lint, was also a Lionhead/Lop cross rather than from two lionlop parents. i remember one of her siblings had one ear up and one ear down. I actually wanted that one initially but he was already sold (the whole litter sold within a few hours) I am really happy I got Lint though, I don't know if it's characteristic for the breed, but she is the most affectionae bunny I have.

murph72 wrote:
Sabine,

Here in the states Lionlops are not yet a recognized breed.

I did want to point out that it's very unlikely that the Lionlop will ever be recognized in the US under the current rules for applying for ARBA breed status.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
murph72 wrote:
Sabine,

Here in the states Lionlops are not yet a recognized breed.

I did want to point out that it's very unlikely that the Lionlop will ever be recognized in the US under the current rules for applying for ARBA breed status.

Pam
Why is that? Because they can be created by simply breeding a lionhead and a lop? Aren't their features distinguished enough yet? Just being curious.

I don't know the reasoning but I'd heard the same thing about them not being accepted. I know they are having a hard time even getting the Lionheads accepted.

I don't understand, alot of folks get upset when people seemingly breed just to breed..for fun, or just to have a litter or whatever....isn't that exactly what this is? Crossing these 2 breeds just for fun? Not trying to start a flame war or anything...I just don't understand how this is any different!

The Lionhead and the Lionlop are too similar (the earscarriage isthe only difference), so under the current rules both of those breeds could not be accepted.

Pam

I think the breed is far too new in the states to be worrying yet over ARBA's decision or indecision to accept it. By the time anyone in the states gets that serious to pursue it, ARBA may have changed their regulations.

As for breeding it for the fun of it....I can only speak for myself, but that is certainly not why I do it. I do not breed bunnies solely for show purposes. I often look for bunnies that would make great pets. Although some lionheads make nice pets if they are given a great deal of attention when they are young, I find their disposition to not be as easy going as that of my mini lops or holland lops. Some people love the manes of Lionheads and the personalities and lopped ears of the lopped ears of the lopped bunnies. The combining of the traits has given me some great bunnies whose owners have been ecstatic about them. They have gone on to homes that have spoiled them. Yes, they're a cross breed and yes I do tell their new owners that. However, not too long ago you could have said that about some other breeds, even my beloved Lionheads.

I breed because I like matching great bunny owners with great bunnies. Yes, it is fulfilling and fun. However, it doesn't matter if that bunny is a full bred to me or a Lionlop cross. As long as the owner and pet are a good match for each other...that's all that matters to me. By the way, I also did research prior to this cross of what the results were in Europe. I'm not just crossing any bunny for the sheer joy of seeing what will result.

Murph i do like your attitude about breeding. This is very much what i have in mind myself as regards breeding.I have only one lionlop and she is my fav bunny. Maybe that's why I'm so slow to breed her and have selected another doe to breed with (I also know both her parents) We don't have any shows here either and I'd just be breeding for looks and personality

Latest posts

Back