Lion-Lops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
I'm just wondering. Does anyone have any experience with Lion-Lops? Information would be nice, too. The only information that I could find basically just said that they are a mix between a Lionhead and a Holland Lop. Any additional information would be awesome! Thanks!

Princess is one but her ears just lopped when she was a baby and now their straight. I don't have any other info really except their very cute and friendly!

This was Princess when I first got her aged 15 weeks.

DSC00940.jpg

Ya their gorgeus, the only thing is some of them get straight ears as they grow, their still called lionlops but they have big uppy ears lol.

kherrmann3 wrote:
The one I saw has down ears and is a few years old. They should stay down if she's that old, right?
I'm no expert but I would say it would take a few generations before they will stay down completely I say irishbunnys princess only had the cross between lionhead and lop, so she would be the first generation of lionlop. It's just my thought.

kherrmann3 wrote:
Hooray! I love lops, and I love lionheads, so it just makes sense to find a rabbit with both traits! Two for the price of one! :)
Yeah I'm thinking of getting one too. Or if not trying to breed one for myself!

You can also cross a mini lop with a lionhead and get a Lionlop. From my experience (I have actually tried both), the mini-lion mix is more likely to lop and stay lopped. They get a tad bigger than the Holland mix, but not a lot....maybe a half pound to a pound more. I think it's the genetics of the wider head on the mini that makes them more likely to lop and stay lopped. They tend to lop around 7 to 8 weeks and mine have all stayed lopped.

murph72 wrote:
You can also cross a mini lop with a lionhead and get a Lionlop. From my experience (I have actually tried both), the mini-lion mix is more likely to lop and stay lopped. They get a tad bigger than the Holland mix, but not a lot....maybe a half pound to a pound more. I think it's the genetics of the wider head on the mini that makes them more likely to lop and stay lopped. They tend to lop around 7 to 8 weeksand mine have all stayed lopped.
Oh god I will have to try both to get lionlops.

If I could figure out how to post a darn picture....I have some of the mini-lion mix at 7 weeks and also at 12 weeks. The 7 week old is looking like an airplane :) The 12 week old is completely lopped.

I own a lionlop. From what I've read about them, they are more than just a cross between a lionhead and a lop but a breed by themself (of course developed by crossing lionheads and lops)
My little girl had her ears down when I got her at 9 weeks and they never ever went up
This is a picture of Lint when she was about 10 weeks old or so
DSC_00058.jpg

Sabine,

Here in the states Lionlops are not yet a recognized breed. As with Lionheads (who also started as across of breeds), Lionlops have been recognized first in Europe as you found on that website.

Prior to crossing the two breeds myself, I read up about them online from breeders overseas...as well as talking to some of them via email. The initial cross has lead to breeders then breeding Lionlops to each other (as we now see with Lionhead breeding). As long as the Lionlop has a strong head, the offspring will also have a strong head. I've seen in the U.S., however, some that do not have strong heads that breeders are then breeding and the result is Lionlops who are either not fully lopped, or not lopped at all, with large erect ears.

Moral of the story: not every Holland and Lionhead will result in strong Lionlops. Just like any other breeding, careful selection to match the best traits is key to getting the best mane and lopped ears.

I think it's an interesting breed and I'm enjoying trying to find the best matches. The results have been some great pets that people are certainly enjoying. Although one girl once wrote me and told me I was trying to "destroy the Lionhead breed" that "worked so hard to get recognized," I see it as a breed that is just getting its start here in the U.S. I got a good chuckle at reminding her where that Lionhead breed came from. :)

Do you reckon my girl, Lint. matches the criteria for a proper lionlop? I got her froma peetshop and have no idea who the breeders were. I love lionlops but due to lack of experience wouldn't dare trying to just cross a lop with a lionhead and hope for the best. I have never yet seen another lionlop around my area. Otherwise it would be a tempting breeding project

Lint is a beautiful girl. She looks to be a Holland-Lion cross. She has a nice space between her two ears, so I'd imagine she'd pass that crown off to her offspring as long as she was mated with another lionlop with a strong crown.

How big is Lint now? How old is she now?

I personally wouldn't just breed any Lionhead and any lop. However, I don't just breed any two lionheads either. It's the same as any other breeding, you're just looking to see who has the best characteristics to pass off to their young. I pesonally wouldn't be afraid of breeding your Lint with the nice crown and lopped ears that she has. She's a fine looking Lionlop...even if she did come from a pet store. :)

Sabine wrote:
Do you reckon my girl, Lint. matches the criteria for a proper lionlop? I got her froma peetshop and have no idea who the breeders were. I love lionlops but due to lack of experience wouldn't dare trying to just cross a lop with a lionhead and hope for the best. I have never yet seen another lionlop around my area. Otherwise it would be a tempting breeding project
I think you should look out for a partner for lint meaning a male lionlop. I am thinking of trying to start breeding these. lionlops that is.

murph72 wrote:
Lint is a beautiful girl. She looks to be a Holland-Lion cross. She has a nice space between her two ears, so I'd imagine she'd pass that crown off to her offspring as long as she was mated with another lionlop with a strong crown.

How big is Lint now? How old is she now?

I personally wouldn't just breed any Lionhead and any lop. However, I don't just breed any two lionheads either. It's the same as any other breeding, you're just looking to see who has the best characteristics to pass off to their young. I pesonally wouldn't be afraid of breeding your Lint with the nice crown and lopped ears that she has. She's a fine looking Lionlop...even if she did come from a pet store. :)
Lint is about six months now i Haven't weighed her because she is so fidgety but I reckon she isn't more than a holland lop in weight and size

Latest posts

Back