Limping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeleo

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping you can help because I am worried.

I have a baby Netherland Dwarf Rabbit and he always jumps in and out of his cage fine but today he has run and jumped through the cage and banged his leg he is now limping and holding the hurt leg in the air when walking. He is eating normally and his behavior hasn't changed - what should I do ?

Thankyou.

Hiya, welcome to the forum!

It seems like it’s worth a vet trip to me! If he’s broken or sprained it, it could be causing him pain - and could also get worse if he keeps hopping around on it! It’s good that he’s acting normal and still eating but definitely worth a look from the vet!

Agreed! Have a vet check... Is it a front leg, or rear?

Sir Lawrence gave me a scare like this once, and after rushing him to the vet, she concluded he was being dramatic. Seriously, though, I thought it was broken, and he was in pain, but after some meds, he was right as rain again. Hopefully it's a similar case with your bun!

If not, chin up! I have wild rabbits (we call them the outside bunnies) all around my house, and one had a visibly broken (bad) hind leg. and I didn't know if he'd survive. I leave nature to be nature, so just said a prayer and let what would be, be. Over time (not that long), I kept seeing the little guy. Long story short, he made a full recovery with no help, dodging predators. He does have a little wonky leg, but he seems fine! Rabbits can be very resilient, and can heal quickly!

Agreed! Have a vet check... Is it a front leg, or rear?

Sir Lawrence gave me a scare like this once, and after rushing him to the vet, she concluded he was being dramatic. Seriously, though, I thought it was broken, and he was in pain, but after some meds, he was right as rain again. Hopefully it's a similar case with your bun!

If not, chin up! I have wild rabbits (we call them the outside bunnies) all around my house, and one had a visibly broken (bad) hind leg. and I didn't know if he'd survive. I leave nature to be nature, so just said a prayer and let what would be, be. Over time (not that long), I kept seeing the little guy. Long story short, he made a full recovery with no help, dodging predators. He does have a little wonky leg, but he seems fine! Rabbits can be very resilient, and can heal quickly!

Thankyou so much such lovely comments and feedback ! Glad to hear your bunny recovered such amazing news ! I have just been so worried because he's only a baby and rabbits hide their pain. I have got in touch with the vets and they said they can get him in this Friday - do you think he will be okay waiting till then ?

Also it is his rear leg but he is still itching himself with it and seems to be normal hopping about but he is still limping.

I just hope he is okay! :)

Hiya, welcome to the forum!

It seems like it’s worth a vet trip to me! If he’s broken or sprained it, it could be causing him pain - and could also get worse if he keeps hopping around on it! It’s good that he’s acting normal and still eating but definitely worth a look from the vet!

Thankyou for your help it is appreciated a lot as I have been stressing out! I have booked him in for Friday just to be sure I just hope all is well and it doesn't get any worse in the that time.

Thanks again :)

Thankyou for your help it is appreciated a lot as I have been stressing out! I have booked him in for Friday just to be sure I just hope all is well and it doesn't get any worse in the that time.

Thanks again :)

Of course! Friday is only a few days away, so I’m sure he’ll be alright! You’ll also be able to monitor him to make sure that he’s not being over dramatic too over that period haha! If he does end up just being dramatic, you can cancel the appointment and if it gets any worse in the next few days (before your appointment), from my experience, vets will generally take you in for that same day! 🥰

I hope so 😇 You're right I will keep an eye on him to see if he may be getting better over the next couple of days before the appointment and go from there. I think I might be worrying too much but I just want him to be okay he is still playing and eating it's just the limp that is worrying me. Do you think it could be nothing and it just might be bruised?

Thankyou so much such lovely comments and feedback ! Glad to hear your bunny recovered such amazing news ! I have just been so worried because he's only a baby and rabbits hide their pain. I have got in touch with the vets and they said they can get him in this Friday - do you think he will be okay waiting till then ?

Also it is his rear leg but he is still itching himself with it and seems to be normal hopping about but he is still limping.

I just hope he is okay! :)

I AM NOT A VET.

That being said, if he's still using it, it's probably not broken. It could still be hurt, though, so I'd keep the appointment! My boy Lucas will often break a nail tearing around the house, which will result in a limp for a few hours to a day or so, depending. After a few vet trips re: this, I've learned to check his nails if he's walking funny.

What's this boy's name? :)

That is what I was thinking as when he done it he didn't make a noise or anything to show he was in pain he just started to limp that is the only reaction he had to it. But when you are reading things up on the internet it can look at lot worse than it may be that's why I started to panic. But you are definitely correct I am going to keep the appointment just to be on the safe side!

He is called Benjamin Bunny - he is a Netherland Dwarf Bunny 😇

Ah yes ! I shall look out for that.

That's wonderful thankyou for sharing that website I will have to have a read through it.

You have been great !

Latest posts

Back