Limping rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pellzy91

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday my bunny wasn't using her back leg she do St look like she wants to put weight on it. I picked her up and there's no obvious sign of injury and she's letting me touch and move the leg not making me think she's in pain or it's broken. I called a vet and they said to keep her caged for 24 hours, dose anyone no how long a sprained bunny leg takes to heal, should I leave her caged for longer? Advice needed thank you

How's baby today?
I noticed that no one has replied here.
If you search within the forum I know there are several threads on this same thing. Maybe they'll give you some ideas and tips.

How long it takes to heal all depends on how seriously it was injured. If it's a break then it could take 4-6 weeks to heal after your vet has treated the injury. If it's just a muscle injury, it should probably only take a week or two, though after a day I would think it wouldn't be hurting as much. If she's not starting to put weight on it and acting more normal after a day, there is probably something more serious going on and your vet will need to take a look at it. There's also the possibility it isn't an injury but something like a sore hock or even an infection, which would need to be checked and treated by your vet.

Thanks for the reply, I had to take her to the emergency vet last night as she stopped eating and couldn't move to get water, sadly I had to make the decision to put her to sleep which killed me as I love my fur babies so much. The vet said that her leg was to swollen and they believed it was a broken hack. Thanks again for replying means alot x

I am so, so sorry this happened. You sound like a very loving rabbit parent and I'm sure she felt that love to the very end. You made a very kind decision that saved her a lot of suffering. She was a lucky bun to be so deeply cared for.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad she's not in pain anymore, I now have to focus all the attention on her companion, they were together from being babies so I'm hoping he will manage without her. He's out of the cage in the sun this morning so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I've put her blanket in the bed so he has the comfort of that. Any advice on how eles to care for him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much again x

I'm so sorry for your loss! You did the right thing by not allowing her to suffer ❤ Please give her friend a cuddle for me!
As long as he has a blanket that smells like her he should be fine. Give him lots and lots of attention so he doesn't get lonely.

Latest posts

Back