Lights are on, but nobunny's home :-/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunniless

Reaction score
Hello,

I am brand new to this site, and have recently lost my Netherland Dwarf bunny. I'd had him for more than nine years--my entire adult life.

I'm struggling now with the decisions involved in re-bunnifying my life. I have a daughter who is almost two, and a new baby on the way. I had always believed rabbits and small children weren't a good mix, but I did easily manage both for a short time. I'm having trouble deciding whether I should adopt or remain bunniless. The representative I spoke with at the House Rabbit Society said many people have rabbits with young children, and that a large breed is probably a better fit for my family than another dwarf. I had sort of forgotten rabbits come in sizes other than dwarf.

If we do commit to another bunny, I would like to make it a bonded pair or trio, for the bunnies' happiness and so I can enjoy watching them interact with one another. I find the idea very exciting, but intimidating as well. Am I up to having 2-3x the bunny companionship I've had in the past? What if the rabbits become disenchanted with one another over time and I have to separate them? I don't love the idea of housing, cleaning and exercising multiple rabbits separately.

So I've come here to ask you experts for help/advice that's probably hard to give someone you don't know. Should I adopt more bunnies? Should they be dwarf or bigger? Is a pair or trio really a good idea? It seems almost too easy, getting an altered, bonded pair from HRS. I don't have to worry about the initial introduction, or reintroduction after the spay/neuter procedure. But somehow I feel like going out and getting two or three new bunnies might be more of a reaction fueled by grief than an actual wise decision. Thank you for any insight!

Unfortunately most of those are questions you can really only answer for yourself. I live in a house with 3 other vet students and we all have our respective pets so my rabbits are in my room. A few months into my first year of school I lost Timmy who was an only bun at the time and couldn't look at his empty cage for more than 2 days before I knew I needed to adopt again. I've always been a fan of bonded pairs because I know even when I'm gone all day, they have eachother. I often say that even if I could never touch them again, watching my rabbits interact with one another brings me such joy that it would be worth it. Bonding can be tricky but adopting an already bonded pair is a great way to avoid that.

It's a tough decision and unfortuatly you can only answer it yourself, tho you seem level headed in weighing both pros and cons and not just jumping in right away.
I say go 4 it because rabbits are a joy to watch and interact with but again the desicsion has yo be yours.

Latest posts

Back