Life changes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear things are going well, bunnyman. So many old-time blue collar jobs that once paid a pretty fair amount are going away entirely, or paying much less than they used to. The best paying job I ever had was as a night auditor at a hotel, but 3rd shift takes it toll.

The big thing, Gordon, is that the recession has basically all but eliminated three week hair colour services. I made a TONNE of money from those services, and literally many people who were coming 17 times per year reduced it to 12. Multiply that by five customers, and suddenly you now have 25 more open spots in the schedule, which is roughly one spot to replace every two weeks! You would not believe the number of powders, crayons, sprays, and even root touch up kits that have made people go longer and longer between services. Again- I made several poor business decisions including going to a place that turned out to be where old hair dressers go to die. Moving to a high-end place was what I needed to do when I made my first big move ten years back, but none existed with the compensation schedule I wanted. But I wasn't going to stay where I was, which has none of the people who were there when I started (except for the owner), moved locations AGAIN and then changed their name! I just did it quicker than the other two most tenured stylists. It's a rough, rough world for hairstylists, for certain!

Oh well. I am hoping to be able to do a bit of hair on the side to get some bills paid down.

Four months into the new job has presented new problems, none of which are money problems. I did some weeding out of problem hair customers when I started the transition, and a few others weeded themselves out. I kept a lot more than I thought I was going to keep.

As far as the new job, it has been hard, but with monetary stability and a retirement, I will deal with the difficulty. No kid says they want to work an office job when they grow up, for certain! My boss got a little too much into her power. She is the worst boss I have EVER worked for. But I am only eight weeks away from being eligible to look into a different department.

I did burn the candle at both ends last week and paid for it with a nasty cold. I took a sick day yesterday and the boss did NOT like it. A lot of customers that have been bitterly clinging on are still doing so at this point, and I have decided that I am going to do another weeding earlier than expected as my foreseen duties at the "real" job are increasing. I am happily still doing both jobs, but it could cost me my health if I am not careful. I work 1-3 evenings per week and all day Saturday and whilst enjoying the money, it is hard on me. I don't have a lot of time to spend it, so bills are coming down. My goal is Saturday and ONE evening per week. My weeding out plan will include another increase that will put me closer to what a hair dresser with my level of experience is SUPPOSED to earn. I don't want to totally lunch the hair money, but I have to make it worth my while.

In all- it took a little while longer for me to start into the transition, but it has finally started to happen. Despite being tired, I enjoy doing hair more than I have in a very long time. Sometimes I wonder if I got into the right type of work, but I know I can get into another department sooner than later. I am not the same, mopey guy at the beginning of this thread. Thanks for reading.

Update: six months in, and I am feeling like I am managing things better. My boss and I get along a little better. It still bums me out that I can only play hockey once per week regularly. I really don't have time for much these days, but I am going to enjoy the ride while I can. Then I can get my little bundle of long eared, nose wiggling fun once things slow a bit.

Good to hear from you. I hope things continue to go well. :)

Thank you.

A year ago now was when I was pondering unthinkable things. I was so depressed that I was uncertain of what to do.

Now, if I can just get this part of my life where I don't have a life better, I will be happy. Then a bunny can share our house!

Latest posts

Back