Lice treatment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiao

Reaction score
Hi, my rabbit is two years old. Yesterday we noticed little black poops in his fur and today after washing him with regular rabbit shampoo I start to brush him and noticed lice (it’s live near rabbit tail).
Because of coronavirus we can’t visit our vet and shops in my country don’t have much stuff for rabbits(as much as I know)
My question how I can kill lice? Can I use dr. Fischer for kids “kill head lice shampoo and herbal oil” it’s said pesticide-free?

Hi, my rabbit is two years old. Yesterday we noticed little black poops in his fur and today after washing him with regular rabbit shampoo I start to brush him and noticed lice (it’s live near rabbit tail).
Because of coronavirus we can’t visit our vet and shops in my country don’t have much stuff for rabbits(as much as I know)
My question how I can kill lice? Can I use dr. Fischer for kids “kill head lice shampoo and herbal oil” it’s said pesticide-free?
*Do NOT Bathe your rabbit it* can send them into shock !!! and they can die
Do not use the Dr.Fischer for kids it is way to strong for rabbits
they clean themselves multiple times a day theirs no need
I'll send you a link about lice.
It may be mites and not lice but never the less it needs to be treated immediately

Last edited:
Hi, can you post a few pictures of your rabbit and his environment, do you use shampoo regularly or what was the reason you had to wash him

Hi, can you post a few pictures of your rabbit and his environment, do you use shampoo regularly or what was the reason you had to wash him
Hi, we used shampoo for first time just to wash poops of this insect out. (I toke a pic of place where he lost hairs because of insect and you can see there pop) Before we bath rabbit 3 times. About his home: he take all space in apartment, but I build from his old cage bottom and card box shelter. Our neighbours make some pretty noise renovation so he pretty stressed last two weeks and stops going far from his home.

Attachments

• 17EE1B45-ECDA-4706-A8D7-07E8F9FD1277.jpeg
    17EE1B45-ECDA-4706-A8D7-07E8F9FD1277.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 5A6B9C10-E1E5-46DB-A91E-36F80E8CEE3C.jpeg
    5A6B9C10-E1E5-46DB-A91E-36F80E8CEE3C.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 10
*Do NOT Bathe your rabbit it* can send them into shock !!! and they can die
Do not use the Dr.Fischer for kids it is way to strong for rabbits
they clean themselves multiple times a day theirs no need
I'll send you a link about lice.
It may be mites and not lice but never the less it needs to be treated immediately

He had mites before. We got him from shop with full legs covered in it. (Someone return him) So it not mites.
We can’t visit vet right now because of the virus

Hi, I’m from Israel as I know we are pretty short on animal supplies. Usually we order from out vet all types of drugs. Sometimes veterans send us to buy stuff in pharmacy. Israel isn’t best place for small animals owners

The best and easiest one to use would be Revolution /Stronghold (selamectin) if you can get it there. It will treat both mites and fleas (and lice) at the dosage of 18mg/kg. Lice would be pretty unusual for a rabbit to get, unless you're absolutely sure it's lice. It's more common for rabbits to get mites or fleas. But lice would be treated the same, with either ivermectin or selemectin.

If it's not lice but your rabbit actually has fleas, ivermectin won't work but revolution does (or Advantage, imidacloprid, cat dose). Plus it is applied topically and usually only has to be applied once, whereas ivermectin has to be given at least 3 times 2 weeks apart, plus can't treat fleas.

If you think it's mites or lice and you treat it with ivermectin, just be extremely careful calculating and drawing up the correct dose if your vet doesn't do it for you. A very tiny amount of ivermectin is needed, and improperly calculated doses can result in an overdose and death. If you can get the Beaphar spot on ivermectin treatment for rabbits, that would be much safer to use. To me though, the dark 'poop' in the fur looks like flea dirt.
MediRabbit (fleas in rabbits)
MediRabbit (fur mites in rabbits)

Latest posts

Back