Level Heights and shelf size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseBun1

Reaction score
The entertainment center I am repurposing has a 40 inch tall center area that I want to divide into different levels. I was thinking of having the floor and two additional shelves, but I'm not sure on the heights. I know there needs to be at least some space in the cage where the bunny can stand all the way up, but how high should that be?

Initially, I wanted to do each level as it's own full floor with a ramp like this, but add one more level on top:
https://pin.it/beac4ecqchnnrs

but I'm wondering if it would be better to have the bottom, then a shelf, then a full floor:
https://pin.it/4yoo5zrklujacr

Thoughts on either option or how to do the spacing? Also, if I do the second one with the shelf, how big would a good usable shelf be? And, how wide should a ramp be?

I thought you were avoiding the cube grids. If not, then you have several options. I would forget using ramps completely. They are a huge space waster. Keep each level one grid height apart. Then bunny can hop from level to level.

Your first photo is 2 grids by 4 grids (floor footprint). I would not go smaller (the 2nd photo appears to be 2 grids by 3 grids).

Here is a sample of a 2 grid by 4 grid cage that has overhead space and almost a complete full floor on the 2nd level.

This one has the advantage of having a more 'private' lower level which is appropriate for litter box and for feeding (they typically like a more 'private' area for that). It is also lino on the lowest level for ease of cleaning. The 2nd level has the open overhead space. and the 3rd level makes a 'lookout' area.

upload_2019-4-2_18-59-21.png

I am avoiding the grids, I just included the pictures so people could understand what I was talking about with the levels and shelves.

The hutch and shelves will be wood, but if I keep them around 12-14 inches apart I shouldn't need the ramps?

If I do a full level and cut a hole for them to hop through, how big of a hole would you suggest?

Latest posts

Back