lettuce for bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One lettuce can cost 5$ and salad mix for 2$ that won’t be enough for 3 bunnies if I would give them the amount they are supposed to have. I can buy 2 kg carrots for 0,2$ so that’s cheap. But it’s only because it’s in season. So it depends on what time of the year when I buy veggies.

One cilantro will cost me between 1- 2$ that will barely cover for Toste veggies. It would cover if it was only for Odin but Odin is 5 times smaller than Toste and Lilja is 10 times larger than Odin. If we go after their weight. So one cilantro plant would be enough for 2 days for Odin. So forking out money for the veggies they need for a proper amount would be hard.

The cheapest veggies in season, specially leafy greens will be 1$, but that will be during summer time when my bunnies get greens outdoor instead. So they really don’t need any greens during summer time.

I don’t really have a concept if it’s expensive, I know sweden is cheaper than norway but my family don’t buy fresh lettuce/leafy veggies and often just buy frozen veggies, root croops and cabbage. We don’t eat that much lettuce except when spring/summer time comes.

Myself also grow mint, basil and lemon balm in the yard for the bunnies. So it’s time for me to pre-plant a few seeds now. But I don’t have a green thumb, my plants and trees I will always mange to kill after a year. Even my avocado trees I grew indoors died after 2 years when I changed dirt to the wrong kind.

At least my lemon trees are growing strong and surviving but have no idea what I’m supposed to do with 10 trees. I was counting on a few of them dying, the reasons why I grew so many. At least the oldest mature tree, give me lemons 3 times every year [emoji28]
Wow, if only I could just ship off the veggies we have here to you so you could have some more! Overall though, you have quite the system of when to give the trio their greens. They're happy and appreciate when you give them the greens which is what matters!

If I had to list out all the edible fruits and veggies that we're growing in the backyard, you would think I would own an acre of land but I really don't :p. I've been trying to work on my dwarf avocado tree as well but so far it's been looking a bit unhappy. But it's most likely because I repotted the tree into a half wine barrel and now has much more room to grow.

That is cool, we can't grow lemons in Minnesota, they are like 50 dollars per indoor tree! But I am sprouting a bunch of herbs that my bunnies can enjoy!
It depends how large the trees are. Some nurseries you can grab a Meyer lemon tree for $25, it may not be as big but it's a pretty good size.

I heard about that, but 50 dollars for a tree? Is it worth it or should I wait?

You can just buy the seeds and take the time to grow a tree. That’s what I did or wait until you can but a cheap lemon tree when it’s on sale.

Myself can see sometimes trees going for sale in my country and you don’t have to wait for it growing from a seed to a small tree to bare fruit xD

Myself can see that my trees have reached different stadium. Like one tree look newly planted while another have matured to grow fruits. Don’t even know why my trees have grown so different between each other when they all started the same and have the same dirt and care. All my trees are a bit over 5 years old now.

I will have to by seeds then! Thank you for the help, now I can actually grow lemons in Minnesota!

You can just buy the seeds and take the time to grow a tree. That’s what I did or wait until you can but a cheap lemon tree when it’s on sale.

Myself can see sometimes trees going for sale in my country and you don’t have to wait for it growing from a seed to a small tree to bare fruit xD

Myself can see that my trees have reached different stadium. Like one tree look newly planted while another have matured to grow fruits. Don’t even know why my trees have grown so different between each other when they all started the same and have the same dirt and care. All my trees are a bit over 5 years old now.

It depends how large the trees are. Some nurseries you can grab a Meyer lemon tree for $25, it may not be as big but it's a pretty good size.

Wow, if only I could just ship off the veggies we have here to you so you could have some more! Overall though, you have quite the system of when to give the trio their greens. They're happy and appreciate when you give them the greens which is what matters!

If I had to list out all the edible fruits and veggies that we're growing in the backyard, you would think I would own an acre of land but I really don't :p. I've been trying to work on my dwarf avocado tree as well but so far it's been looking a bit unhappy. But it's most likely because I repotted the tree into a half wine barrel and now has much more room to grow.

Haha, I can believe that. I often use the forest around my place to get greens during spring and summer time

So I know which weeds are okay and what weeds aren’t good for bunnies. It’s the same when I go out plucking blueberries, black berries, strawberries and many more berries in the forest when the seasons come. We always freeze the berries and they work as a good treats during hot summers for the bunnies.

I’m planning to maybe this year go out and pluck mushrooms like different kinds of chantarelles from the forrest. You can dry them and use them when you cook or do a yummy toast.

I have figured out how to get Theo's veggies to cost only $5 a week. Of course, there goes my Starbucks drink, but it is worth it. I grow everything for him in the spring, summer, and fall because I have a huge garden. In the winter I buy the veggies. This winter I wasn't able to buy them for him every week because he got sick and cost me a fortune, but my mom always has some romaine in our fridge so he gets a little every day.

Haha, I can believe that. I often use the forest around my place to get greens during spring and summer time

So I know which weeds are okay and what weeds aren’t good for bunnies. It’s the same when I go out plucking blueberries, black berries, strawberries and many more berries in the forest when the seasons come. We always freeze the berries and they work as a good treats during hot summers for the bunnies.

I’m planning to maybe this year go out and pluck mushrooms like different kinds of chantarelles from the forrest. You can dry them and use them when you cook or do a yummy toast.
That's a great idea for the summer! I will have to try that. I have some frozen berries in my freezer right now and never thought to give them to rabbits. I dislike buying fruits unless its in bulk because they're so expensive (a small box of raspberries is $5!).

I envy that you have access to a forest!

Last edited:
When an animal experiences severe itching and scratching, it's called pruritus. In a rabbit, it can be due to fur, skin, or ear parasites; dry skin; allergies; or infections. No matter the cause, it's important to take care of it right away for the sake of your rabbit's health and peace of mind.
My chickens destroyed our strawberries, we have to plant more!

That's a great idea for the summer! I will have to try that. I have some frozen berries in my freezer right now and never thought to give them to rabbits. I dislike buying fruits unless its in bulk because they're so expensive (a small box of raspberries is $5!).

I envy that you have access to a forest!

I know they can be so expansive but they are a lot more yummy when plucked wild. Raspberries of the branches are so good and strawberries will always be perfect if you grow them yourself or take from the forest.

I love eating fresh berries. My parents told me that as a small kid I ate the whole blueberry plant with the blueberries on. So I always turned really blue and smudged the blueberry all over me xD

I know they can be so expansive but they are a lot more yummy when plucked wild. Raspberries of the branches are so good and strawberries will always be perfect if you grow them yourself or take from the forest.

I love eating fresh berries. My parents told me that as a small kid I ate the whole blueberry plant with the blueberries on. So I always turned really blue and smudged the blueberry all over me xD
That is funny, in a nice way of course!

I have two small-medium rabbits and spend about $35 a month on fresh produce for them. This includes a healthy bunch of cilantro (80% of the time) or Italian parsley (20%) every day, along with a mixture of brussels sprouts, broccoli florets, broccoli rabe, romaine, organic dinosaur kale, organic dandelion greens or organic collard greens (3 or 4 modest portions of the above daily). Then again, I'm in the Sacramento region, which has aggressively rebranded itself from "Cowtown" to "Farm to Fork Capitol."

I'm currently researching basil plant home propogation, and intend to look into cilantro and Italian parsely. Since I'm in the Sierra foothills, the regional growing environment consists of hard clay, lots and lots of rocks and few specks of actual dirt. Everything will need to be grown inside or possibly outside in a pot or planter.

I have two small-medium rabbits and spend about $35 a month on fresh produce for them. This includes a healthy bunch of cilantro (80% of the time) or Italian parsley (20%) every day, along with a mixture of brussels sprouts, broccoli florets, broccoli rabe, romaine, organic dinosaur kale, organic dandelion greens or organic collard greens (3 or 4 modest portions of the above daily). Then again, I'm in the Sacramento region, which has aggressively rebranded itself from "Cowtown" to "Farm to Fork Capitol."

I'm currently researching basil plant home propogation, and intend to look into cilantro and Italian parsely. Since I'm in the Sierra foothills, the regional growing environment consists of hard clay, lots and lots of rocks and few specks of actual dirt. Everything will need to be grown inside or possibly outside in a pot or planter.

For the plants you are going to plant I suggest a self watering pot/planter, all 3 of thoses plants need lots of water and it is hard to keep up with! Good luck though and let me know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back