lettuce for bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat1234

Reaction score
someone tell me why SO many people think lettuce is toxic to bunnies and will kill them it's really frustrating because some lettuce varieties (ex romaine) are actually VERY good for bunnies
why is it such a common misconception

It is actually the opposite for me, @nat1234. Most people around me think that lettuce and carrots are so great for rabbits and wonder why I never give Theo iceberg lettuce and carrots. I think people don't realize that Bugs Bunny is a fictional character.

Iceberg lettuce aren’t good for bunnies because it can cause diarrhea and if you introduce greens the wrong way the bunnies can get really sick.

Maybe the misconceptions came from that and the rumor started :)

Yeah, I guess they just decided that because Iceberg lettuce wasn’t good, all lettuce isn’t good.
Or maybe someone told them that lettuce wasn’t good?

smh who knew proper veggies would be so hard for people to understand
It is actually the opposite for me, @nat1234. Most people around me think that lettuce and carrots are so great for rabbits and wonder why I never give Theo iceberg lettuce and carrots. I think people don't realize that Bugs Bunny is a fictional character.

it's wild chewy posted a video of a veggie rabbit cake with romaine lettuce on instagram and SO many people are attacking them
That’s crazy. People love to attack things that they don’t understand. Apollo absolutely loves romaine lettuce! Although it makes me feel bad because I can’t get it too often...:oops:

People always get so mad for stupid reasons. I mean seriously do some research before you blow up at somebody! Theo also loves his lettuce @Apollo’s Slave. I sometimes can't afford his veggies or run out of time to go to the store, but we always have some in our fridge. We are huge salad eaters so it is always fine to share with Theo, I just have to steal some salad before my mom puts dressing on it.

Can't hurt them anymore than mine stealing cookies or trash and he's not crossing the rainbow yet.
My younger sister ate in my room, which she isn’t allowed to do. She dropped a piece of a cookie, on my floor! Where Apollo is! And he quickly snatched it up. I had to practically fight him to get it out of his mouth, but he got the smallest bit of it. I stayed awake the whole night in case he got sick, he didn’t, luckily. But I was so mad at my little sister and her dad told her off, so that better not happen again. Scared the life out of me! :confused:

Last edited:
My younger sister ate in my room, which she isn’t allowed to do. She dropped a piece of a cookie, on my floor! Where Apollo is! And he quickly snatched it up. I had to practically fight him to get it out of his mouth, but he got the smallest bit of it. I stayed awake the whole night in case he got sick, he didn’t, luckily. But I was so mad at my little sister and her dad told her off, so that better not happen again. Scared the life out of me! :confused:
Mine is way too smart. He high tails it right under something that I can't get to, and enjoys his catch. It's amazing how fast he can get is big bunny rump under a bed or dresser. He's part shape shifter.

Well, in the wild they live off of greens but they most likely don't find iceberg lettuce because it is an imported plant. I do give my rabbits greens and other veggies but most of the greens is grass. Carrots are healthy but only in small amounts because they don't just pluck them out of the ground like in the cartoons, they would actually have to dig them out of the groud. I saved 2 of my rabbits from a lady who had over 40 rabbits in her gradge in small little cages... she said that her rabbits never got any greens at all, not even hay! I thik that is crazy! I think people just are confused.

Well, in the wild they live off of greens but they most likely don't find iceberg lettuce because it is an imported plant. I do give my rabbits greens and other veggies but most of the greens is grass. Carrots are healthy but only in small amounts because they don't just pluck them out of the ground like in the cartoons, they would actually have to dig them out of the groud. I saved 2 of my rabbits from a lady who had over 40 rabbits in her gradge in small little cages... she said that her rabbits never got any greens at all, not even hay! I thik that is crazy! I think people just are confused.

I would be one of the owners that don’t always give my bunnies greens. At least not during winter time, I would have to pay 10$ for veggies everyday and I don’t have the economy for paying 300$ for veggies every month. It’s so expensive with veggies specially when you only get 300$ every month and around 400$ if I work (35 hours). I rather save my money so I can pay the extra vet cost. Owning 3 bunnies make me need to pay more for the vet and it seem like one bunny always manage to get sick every year. It’s like they shift who get sick this year, emptying my savings to pay the extra vet cost

During spring and summer my bunnies get weeds, fresh branches and small trees with leaves and eat grass. So spring and summer they have an all you can eat of greens.

I wish I could give my bunnies fresh veggies everyday but it will have to wait until I’m not a poor student. So I’ll just give them veggies a few times during the month instead. It’s just a little more than a year until I’m done with my studies and can get a better payed job.

So I really wonder how people manage to give the amount of veggies your bunnies need when it cost so much buying veggies.

I would be one of the owners that don’t always give my bunnies greens. At least not during winter time, I would have to pay 10$ for veggies everyday and I don’t have the economy for paying 300$ for veggies every month. It’s so expensive with veggies specially when you only get 300$ every month and around 400$ if I work (35 hours). I rather save my money so I can pay the extra vet cost. Owning 3 bunnies make me need to pay more for the vet and it seem like one bunny always manage to get sick every year. It’s like they shift who get sick this year, emptying my savings to pay the extra vet cost

During spring and summer my bunnies get weeds, fresh branches and small trees with leaves and eat grass. So spring and summer they have an all you can eat of greens.

I wish I could give my bunnies fresh veggies everyday but it will have to wait until I’m not a poor student. So I’ll just give them veggies a few times during the month instead. It’s just a little more than a year until I’m done with my studies and can get a better payed job.

So I really wonder how people manage to give the amount of veggies your bunnies need when it cost so much buying veggies.
oh wow, that's quite expensive! I usually spend an average of $5-$10 per week for Trixie's veggies, depending on what I get. Over here, items like cilantro are $0.49, and if I buy lettuce or spring mix, I can buy a large container of organic kind at Costco for $5 or a little more and it would last a week. I would be broke too if I needed to shell out more. @Hermelin, are groceries in Sweden expensive in general?

In Spring, my mom grows cilantro, mint, basil in the backyard and we'll soon have raspberry and cucumber leaves as well. My mom and I have green thumbs so we enjoy growing a variety of items. The one I'm excited for are my dragon fruits :D Growing a couple of the greens will help save me money.

It's hard when you're a student. I remember when I was in college, I was basically living off ramen or my mom's food when she cooked. Hang in there!

Oh great, I haven't even graduated yet! Now I get to save for veggies, or i get to start my own garden. Anyways at least you are giving your rabbits veggies, she wouldn't even give them any!

oh wow, that's quite expensive! I usually spend an average of $5-$10 per week for Trixie's veggies, depending on what I get. Over here, items like cilantro are $0.49, and if I buy lettuce or spring mix, I can buy a large container of organic kind at Costco for $5 or a little more and it would last a week. I would be broke too if I needed to shell out more. @Hermelin, are groceries in Sweden expensive in general?

In Spring, my mom grows cilantro, mint, basil in the backyard and we'll soon have raspberry and cucumber leaves as well. My mom and I have green thumbs so we enjoy growing a variety of items. The one I'm excited for are my dragon fruits :D Growing a couple of the greens will help save me money.

It's hard when you're a student. I remember when I was in college, I was basically living off ramen or my mom's food when she cooked. Hang in there!

One lettuce can cost 5$ and salad mix for 2$ that won’t be enough for 3 bunnies if I would give them the amount they are supposed to have. I can buy 2 kg carrots for 0,2$ so that’s cheap. But it’s only because it’s in season. So it depends on what time of the year when I buy veggies.

One cilantro will cost me between 1- 2$ that will barely cover for Toste veggies. It would cover if it was only for Odin but Odin is 5 times smaller than Toste and Lilja is 10 times larger than Odin. If we go after their weight. So one cilantro plant would be enough for 2 days for Odin. So forking out money for the veggies they need for a proper amount would be hard.

The cheapest veggies in season, specially leafy greens will be 1$, but that will be during summer time when my bunnies get greens outdoor instead. So they really don’t need any greens during summer time.

I don’t really have a concept if it’s expensive, I know sweden is cheaper than norway but my family don’t buy fresh lettuce/leafy veggies and often just buy frozen veggies, root croops and cabbage. We don’t eat that much lettuce except when spring/summer time comes.

Myself also grow mint, basil and lemon balm in the yard for the bunnies. So it’s time for me to pre-plant a few seeds now. But I don’t have a green thumb, my plants and trees I will always mange to kill after a year. Even my avocado trees I grew indoors died after 2 years when I changed dirt to the wrong kind.

At least my lemon trees are growing strong and surviving but have no idea what I’m supposed to do with 10 trees. I was counting on a few of them dying, the reasons why I grew so many. At least the oldest mature tree, give me lemons 3 times every year [emoji28]

That is cool, we can't grow lemons in Minnesota, they are like 50 dollars per indoor tree! But I am sprouting a bunch of herbs that my bunnies can enjoy!

That is cool, we can't grow lemons in Minnesota, they are like 50 dollars per indoor tree! But I am sprouting a bunch of herbs that my bunnies can enjoy!

Lemon trees are quite sturdy, so they should be able to survive indoors. Specially when they manage to survive my bad green thumbs xD

Latest posts

Back