Letting House Bun in the Garden!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatieB

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My Rory has had all his shots now, and it's time for him to get some Vitamin D.

I think I'm being overly nervous, but I'm absolutely terrified of letting him out in my garden.

The options are:

1. A big old run that we can carry him too/from.

2. A big old run that has an open door to our house so he can come and go

3. We close up any garden holes etc and let him run free in our small garden. With the French door left open for him.

Please help! I know my other half will be irritated with a run being against the French door, restricting our access in and out. I'm so scared of predators (foxes!) With him not having an enclosed run.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, and here's a picture of Rory just to sweeten the advice:

Attachments

• IMG_20190428_123109.jpg
    IMG_20190428_123109.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 15
Whether you choose to set the run up or let him free run in the garden depends on if you will supervise. I do not recommend letting him run in and out as he chooses because if he gets out or a predator gets in, it won't end good. You should be supervising at all times. I believe the first option is the best though.

Mom
Whether you choose to set the run up or let him free run in the garden depends on if you will supervise. I do not recommend letting him run in and out as he chooses because if he gets out or a predator gets in, it won't end good. You should be supervising at all times. I believe the first option is the best though.
That's great thanks Alyssa, he will definitely be watched the whole time outside, the easy access in/ out is really so that he can do as he pleases without me choosing when he is in or out! But great advice thank you!

What kind of predators do you have in your area.

You can let your bunny run in the whole yard while being fenced but if you have predators like eagles and those, then it will be better with a run with mesh or some roof on.

Foxes aren’t out that often during the day, but you can be unlucky.

Even though when being supervised, I know of people losing their bunny while kids was in the pen playing with the bunny and a fox took it right in front of them.

But this doesn’t happen often, but their will always a risk.

So all depends on how you live in your area, lot of dogs walking by your home and cats will often make the foxes not come that close to the houses.

Also think about if you have rabbit disease in your area or not ^^

But if everything’s okay with the area, you can fence in the yard.

If there are any chances of foxes or other predators where you live, he needs to be in a fully enclosed and secured run. I know of other rabbit owners that have lost their buns to predators because they let them run free in the garden. The only way it's relatively safe to let a rabbit run free in the garden with possible predators around, is if you are right there supervising. When I bring my rabbits outside I am always within a couple feet of them because we have birds of prey and other predators around.

Sometimes I am a little scared t bring teddy out. Mainly because of ticks and fleas. Teddy is harness trained

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I think I'm gunna go with an enclosed run but I've found a company that do tubes to the house! Really helpful to hear your thoughts!!

Latest posts

Back