Lets show the REW a little love.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Everyone has a type of bunny that they just don't care for that much or would not wanna own for various reasons. I am one of the few that love them ALL big and small fat and thin lop or up right fluffy or short coat there all lovely to me and both of my girls are rescues.

But when I read posts about certain bunny distaste it always seems to come back to the REW (Ruby eyed white)...People both online and in person at the shelter tell me there creepy,ugly,scary and ewww
Well my little Muppet is a REW and raise your hand if your a fan of fluffy Miss.Muppet???
So here is a little REW education first there prone to vision issues and can be totally blind due to poor breeding practices. REW bunny's are usually always the product of commercial and backyard breeding . These are the breeding practices that fill the shelters with unwanted buns.
When a REW is abandoned in a shelter they can take months or years to be adopted if it is a no kill because people think there unattractive and children find them scary.
In a kill shelter a REW is more likely to be put to sleep then the other bunnies.

So next time your looking at a REW keep in mind that they did not asked to be born that way and were bred on purpose to look like that by some uncaring person who just wanted to make a quick buck. If your looking to adopt and you spot a REW try to take just two extra minutes to get to know the bun behind those eyes. You never know who you might end up taking home....

I love you Muppet!!!!!
14476_270108_390000000.jpg

I had a REW as a kid... parents picked him out at the shelter. I wasn't a big fan of the look compared to other types of bunns, but in retrospect I think that's probably just 'cause he was a pretty mundane looking breed with plain ol' white coloring on top of that. I still loved him, of course, 'cause he was my bunny... but his looks were kinda boring. something about Muppet's mane with the REW coloring just gives her so much character, though.

Hmm... I actually think REWs are pretty cool. I like their eye color, white's my issue. Not cause I don't like the color just it stains so noticeably.

I used to have an evil REW nethie...loved the mean little creature. Triple dewlap, red eyes, and the worst personality you'll ever encounter in a bun. Smartest bun I've ever met, and best behaved. So I'm pretty partial to REWs. Qtip isn't one, but she said she wouldn't mind her husbun being a big REW NZ...

there prone to vision issues and can be totally blind due to poor breeding practices

^this is not true. Red Eyed White rabbits and any rabbit with a Ruby cast are more photosensitive to light and direct sunlight. This is not just because they are REW and it doesnt mean they can become blind from being a rew

woahlookitsme wrote:
there prone to vision issues and can be totally blind due to poor breeding practices

^this is not true. Red Eyed White rabbits and any rabbit with a Ruby cast are more photosensitive to light and direct sunlight. This is not just because they are REW and it doesnt mean they can become blind from being a rew
According to three of the last vets we have seen including the current one the gene that makes the bunny an albino (and that is what a REW is) can degrade the features of the eyes overtime. Breeders who breed there albino bunnies together over and over again will get buns who are prone to blindness. Our vets say its pure genetics and improper breeding that caused Muppets blindness.

I raised californian rabbits for 4 years. They are white with black points on their bodies. They have red eyes. The eyes freeked a lot of people out so it was harder to sell the pet quality babies. Nobody in my family except me liked the eyes. They did not bother me at all. Now there are better looking eyes in rabbits than the red.

My problem with white rabbits is that, well they are white. They are a pain in the but to keep clean. Even broken colored rabbits are a pain in the but.

REWs aren't necessarily albinos, Sarah, so not all REW would be prone to blindness through breeding. All pink-eyed rabbits do have weaker eyes though.

People should just think of Muppet as being a different rabbit, because she is under her albinism! Underneath, she could be a lovely black dutch marked rabbit. :D

I personally don't mind pink eyes; I used to have a pink eyed rabbit, and six out of my nine rats are pink-eyed.

Whidbey is a Himalayan not a REW, but he still has the red eyes. My husband isn't a fan...

34zmwrd.jpg

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
So here is a little REW education first there prone to vision issues and can be totally blind due to poor breeding practices. REW bunny's are usually always the product of commercial and backyard breeding .

So next time your looking at a REW keep in mind that they did not asked to be born that way and were bred on purpose to look like that by some uncaring person who just wanted to make a quick buck.

:?

This isn't accurate information. If you're interested, I'd be happy to explain more about how REWs are created, why they're included in breeding programs and what breeders are doing to ensure overall health in the color. PM me anytime! :D

Again I trust my vets. No offense to the breeders but I can understand why you would want to defend breeding...I get that but your not a vet and I know what my vets have said and I know what I have experienced caring for a extremely disabled REW who has more problems then just vision thanks to her thoughtful breeders.

Anaira wrote:
REWs aren't necessarily albinos, Sarah, so not all REW would be prone to blindness through breeding. All pink-eyed rabbits do have weaker eyes though.
Was this mis directed towards me? Katie made that comment? o_O

:D
Some more REW love pictures. This was an adorable baby girl we got she was the runt of the litter but Oh So Cute and I believe I fell in love <3
jrdoe-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back