Lethargic bunny with small poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabb1tmad

Reaction score
Hi, I'm after some advice again.

I noticed a couple of days ago that Lacey's poop is much smaller than normal. I inspected the poop a bit closer and they seemed to be a little softer than normal but still of a decent consistency. Lacey has been lethargic of late. In the morning she is normally excited and running around when I sort out the food and hay but I have actually had to prod her to wake her up lately. I put it down to heat a few days ago as our heating when a bit mad and it was quite hot in the lounge in the morning. The heat thing is sorted but this morning I really had to prod her to get her to wake.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be? She is eating normally, I haven't changed their diet and I have just finished her 28 day course of Panacur as prescribed by my vet. She is in moult butI have been grooming her loads and I haven't seen any fur in the poops of late. I checked her back area this a.m. and she had a couple of tiny ceacels stuck to her fur but she sometimes get this as her fur is so thick under there.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would try to get more fluids in her and also treat her with gas meds. GI slowdowns are common during molting. My boy Loki often has those exact same symptoms when he molts but perks up and getsbetter poopafter a few doses of canned pumpkin for fluid and fiber. I know that's hard to find there, so maybe some carrot or banana baby food,flavored Pedialyte, and baby gas meds just in case.

Thanks naturestee. Lacey has never had this problem before. We don't have Pedialyte but we have Dioralyte which is the same stuff. How much should I give? I won't be able to get the pumpkin but I heard Pineapple juice is good for hair blockages, would that be ok to try do you think?

My bunnies get a little down during their moults as well.We're also approachingthespring season whenbunnies are more prone to bloat and I do believe viruses.

It's generally been disproved that the juice dissolves hair, but it still provides hydration and I'm sure it has other beneficial properties. I give mine diluted juices like carrot,berry and apple, she's always much better after she drinks. (I do have to make sure they're well-diluted, though, otherwise the sugar can cause an imbalance).

Increasing hay is always a good idea. And as a preventative measure during a moult, a lot of people use a daily dose of Petromalt or Laxatone. Just make sure the bunny is well-hydrated and there's no blockage.

Here's hoping it doesn't go beyond this!

sas

Another idea is to put a bit of vanilla flavoring in a second water bowl. Some rabbits really like the taste of that.

If Dioralyte is what you have for Pedialyte over there, it should be okay. You can use the flavored versions- I have apple for my fur kids.

Thanks guys. I don't know how we got along without you before :D. Lacey is a little less lethargic today and I have seen the odd larger poop but they are still too soft. I'm sure she'll be fine shortly.

Latest posts

Back