Lesson(s) I've Learned While Trying to Take Care of a Sick Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M&S Mom, actually that's a GREAT idea!!! I think that you're on to something here!

Carolyn, all of your prayers and good thoughts are paying off!!! The 11:00 dosing went much, MUCH better!!!:D I used all of the techniques that you all presented and although he still didn't like it (as expected), thewhole process went much more smoothly. It didn't take us as long to catch him, we burrito ed him up, and pet himfor a while, cooed and talked to him, then I slowly slipped the syringe in. I wondered how long it wouldtake before he figured outhe could spit it out ... and he didn't let me down! lol! He slowly let it dribble out the side of his mouth. I slowly pumped it right back up into the syringe off of hisface,and slowly put it back in his mouth, all the while petting him and explaining to him that we really wanted him to feel better.He accepted, albeit ungraciously, his fate. lol! Heaven let usfeed him a few raisins this time after it was all over!

Okay .... only nine more days and counting ...

As an addendum, the GOOD news is that he's not sniffling or coughing at all now, so the medicine is definitely working! I'm still going to set up a follow-up doctor's appointment after his 10-day medication course, but for now things are rather looking up.

Yay, BunnyMommy!

He's not out of the woods, but things are certainly airing on the side of good. Will continue prayers and thoughts. I 'checked on' you first thing this morning. It was so considerate of you to keep us updated how the last feeding went.

Is he still eating and drinking?

I know many people would call me absolutely out of my mind in my thoughts about animal communication. I've only to say that it works for me and with some animals that friends have with difficult personalities.

The eyes really are the mirrors of the soul. Just because they can't speak doesn't mean they can't understand. I'm thrilled you evidenced it yourself with your little guy.

I'll be checking back in to see how today goes. I'm glad he's still got his feisty side of him. It's when they stop fighting back that I really worry.

You give that Sherman a Big Kiss for me.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, you are so wonderful and thoughtful! I stayed up all night with him and with much begging, bribing,pleading, and groveling I'm out of the doghouse! ... for now anyway ... Heplayed chase with me, let megive him raisins,and let me pet and brush him. I laid down on the floor with him and he laid beside me and watched TV.

His appetite has been really strong throughout all of this.I've just been worried about hiswater intake. He's not drinking near enough water. When we took him to the doctor we had them give him subcutaneous fluids, so at least for now I'm certain he's not dehydrated.

I think you're right on target with the psychic connection that animals have. Like you, I've always held this view.

This little bugger has such a strong personality. He knows that we love him, but he's determined to be the Alpha Bunny!lol!

It'll be time for his next dose in the next couple of hours.Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Little Mon laid down next to you and watched the boob tube. How cute is that! I think all is forgiven, until the next dosage of medication happens. ;) Stubborn little creatures they are!

He must stay hydrated. It's very important for him. If he's not drinking, you might give him a syringe of water now and then so that he doesn't dehydrate.

:dude:

Never expected to become a 'vet' when you got Sherman, did ya?! I'd trust you with Tucker...no doubt!

-Carolyn

Oh, what a great idea! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to get him to drink more water! The syringe is the perfect solution!

Thanks so much! :D

Looks like there's going to be more pouting on the horizon!!! lol!

P.S. The little smiley faces, etc. you have in your notes are adorable. I love them. They're very cool.

Yes, I would force the water on him.
Welcome Back, Mr. Attitude! He'll love you for it. Obviously him sitting next to you and playing chase with you last night is an indication that he knows you love him and he loves ya back.

Bunnymommy, we're all pullin' and prayin' for your Sherman and you! You and your husbandhaveentered the bunny fancying world under the gun and are being "baptized by fire,"in spite of which you are doing it with a great deal of grace and aplomb. You are to be complimented for that. :cool:

Buck

Hello, everyone!

I'm happy to report that today is the VERY LAST day of Sherman's medication dosing. :) He's doing very well, no more sniffling or sneezing.

I'm going to make a followup appointment for him either this weekend or next week and hopefully he'll get a completely clean bill of health.

Thanks to you all for your prayers, support, and encouragement!

Three cheers for Sherman-Baby and BunnyMommy!!! :dude: :dude:

Way to Go!

-Carolyn

Well, Sherman is sneezing again.I'mso thankful that Buck and Carolyn prepared me for this eventuality or I would have been overly distraught about it.

I've made a doctor's appointment for him this Saturday.Hopefully the vet will tell me that it's allergies or something. I really love this little bunny. The thought of him being really sick upsets me in a way that you can't imagine.

The good news though is that he's eating, pooping, and behaving normally, and he's not sneezing as much as he was before.It's just every now and then. I just believe in being safe rather than sorry.

I'll update his condition after we return from the vet on Saturday. Hopefully all of this information will help someone in a similar situation.

Bummer, BunnyMommy. Some rabbits have to stay on the medication indefinitely. I was really really hoping that the symptoms wouldn't return. You'll be in my prayers.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Thanks so much, Carolyn. I really don't even care if he has to stay on long-term medications. I look at it as the same as when human beings have ailments, such as allergies, etc. that have to be managed with medication on a long-term basis. My concern is that whatever this illness is may affect his mortality in the long run. I've read how these"infections" can lead to things like head tilt and such.

I appreciate so much your prayers for my little guy. I'm just believing that we can get through this without serious consequence.

Thanks ever so much to you and Buck for being truthful with me before and preparing me for this. If this had come on again without me being prepared for it I don't know what I would have done.

Well, I'm glad you've got your eyes open,BunnyMommy. You're definitely in my prayers with Sherman and will continue to be so.

Pamnock may be able to add some information as to the success rates of rabbits staying on the medication indefinitely. Pam??

I was encouraged by the following about continual medication.

[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Treatment involves antibiotics that kill the Pasteurella but don't kill the healthy bacteria in the rabbit's lower intestinal tract. This is a bit challenging because the antibiotics most often used to treat Pasteurella in other animals, suchas the modified penicillins like amoxicilllin, are hard on the rabbit's healthy bacteria. The two antibiotics most commonly used in rabbits are the trimethoprim and sulfa-drug combinations (Septra, Bactrim and a number of generic products) and enrofloxacin (Baytril). These products can be given for long periods without complications of digestive upset. In serious cases, more aggressive antibiotics maybe used knowing that upsetting the digestive tract is a possibility that must be risked.[/font]

This is what Pamnock had said: Some medications can be used long term. I prefer to see at least a short interval of breaks from the medication every so often.

I can't recall if Sherman hadblood tests or if a pathogen was identified. That helps to determine which medication would be most effective.

However, there are times when noknown pathogen can be identified.

Pam

You've got a good vet, BunnyMommy, and Sherman couldn't have a better Mom. Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Thanks, Carolyn! I've posted a reply to Pamnock's response on the Pamnock thread.

The excerpt that you've copied is VERY encouraging! The antibiotic that Sherman was prescribed the last time was Baytril, and as far as I could tell he had no negative side effects. If the solution to his ailment is going to be as simple as a long-term course of Baytril, then I think that we're going to be good to go.

I really appreciate all of the support and good info that you are providing.

Sherman's my baby too, ya know! ;)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back