Lesson(s) I've Learned While Trying to Take Care of a Sick Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bringing this post back for our new member, Abbi.

-Carolyn

Buck Jones wrote:
They are little buggers, aren't they? When I used to try and give a papaya enzyme tablet hidden in some other food, like banana for example, to one of my does, she would accept the banana, chew away contentedly, then spit out the tablet when she was finished with the banana!

Figured I'd fix her, so I ground the pill up, dug a hole in the piece of banana, inserted the powder into the hole, plugged the hole with banana, and fed it to her. She ate all around the hole and plug, leaving the ground up powder intact, and walked away!

Now, she gets papaya and pineapple enzymes in her drinking water. She has no choice but to drink it, the silly little twit!

Buck
That's funny my rabbits practically took my hand off when they got their papaya tablets

I know all about the forgiving. Basil still hasn't forgiven me for the surgery she had a month ago for a blockage and Daisy is still mad because Basil was gone, or maybe because she came back....they aren't the best of friends:). Daisy won't even come out of her cage unless I drag her.

I've found Buck's "bunny burrito" to work really well.Anything I have to medicate (except my big dogs) get all wrapped up for the ordeal and it can be an ordeal. My cat Lucky gets daily meds for a chronic sinus problem and he runs as soon as he sees the bottle.

My bunny was diagnosed with Coccidea, so I have to give him medicine orally as well. I put a blanket on the floor, place him on the blanket, and wrap him up nice and snug. I hold him against my body, only his head sticks out,and he takes the syringe alright. Hope your bun gets better soon!

Thanks, Buck! This info is very helpful!

This whole experience has been a real eye opener for me. When you think of bunnies, you think of sweet, meek, passive little "angels"who are always happy and joyful. To find out that I have a little bugger who pouts has just really thrown me for a loop! And he's so very SMART too! You wouldn't believe (well, yeah you can :? ) how fast he was thinking on his feet on how to avoid taking this medicine! My husband and I were worn out when we finally got it down him ... and he was too!

Next dosing is at 11:00 ... and I'm not looking forward to it!
Lol so true, but they are so sweet and just amazing little guys and gals...do you happen to know how long the bunny lops truly live for? I’ve found a few answers thus far...good post y’all 😊

Lol so true, but they are so sweet and just amazing little guys and gals...do you happen to know how long the bunny lops truly live for? I’ve found a few answers thus far...good post y’all 😊
A great spoiled and cared-for bun, be it lop or not, could go for about 8 years. Some amazing ones are known to live up to 10 and super-seniors may see their 12th birthday as well.
But sometimes things don't go well.

I've read posts about buns as young as 3 months giving up their life to some kind of illness.

My 1 y 3 m young lop bun Musti might have to live the rest of his life with a faulty leg as well.

He had some kind of injury, swollen and infected from within, that made him stop using one of his hind legs. The meds that were originally given to him did nothing.

EXPERIENCE: Musti LOVES drinking from syringes.

So we went to a more experienced vet who did a week-long shot to see if it helps. It didn't so we went back AGAIN to get a long-term one.

The vet said that if it works and he heals, it's great but if it doesn't, then well, he's gonna be dragging his foot behind as long as he lives.

He said so because he openly admitted that it would normally be a surgical matter but neither he nor anyone else wouldn't be exceptionally willing to do that as buns are prone to ''not recovering well and sometimes even dying on the table''

But yeah, it all could've been prevented if we'd had a proper full carpet before, so it's pretty much our fault that he's injured at all.

So, in conclusion, i've learned a lot.

Latest posts

Back