Less affectionate and more aggressive after neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DashinBunnies

Reaction score
Hello! I have 2 male bunnies (Theo and Dash) around 8 months old and I recently had them neutered. They are in separate pens at the moment and are recovering fine. Dash was very dominant and aggressive before and now he is much calmer & responding well to litter training, however Theo was the super affectionate and gentle one before neutering and now he hides away when he sees me and nips/bites me when I put my hand close.. wondering if anyone has experienced more aggression post neutering?

Thanks guys!

I have not personally experienced that, poor Theo!

Depending on how long ago the procedure was, he could still be a little sore and scared from the ordeal. He could also be feeling defensive of his space, allow him to come to you. Make sure the surgery site looks OK and be patient, he may need some extra time to come around. 🙂🙏

I have not personally experienced that, poor Theo!

Depending on how long ago the procedure was, he could still be a little sore and scared from the ordeal. He could also be feeling defensive of his space, allow him to come to you. Make sure the surgery site looks OK and be patient, he may need some extra time to come around. 🙂🙏

Aw thank you for your kind reply :) Yes it's been about 3 weeks now and surgery wound has healed nicely. Yeah I guess just patience.. He's been eating and pooping fine so I guess I'll just give him extra time to get more comfortable!

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. We had the same issue. Two buns initially got along fine. After neutering, one of them is now doing exactly what your bun is doing. It's been a year and we have to keep them separate. The one that has turned doesn't bite but he growls and lunges at as from time to time. He seems afraid of everything. You have to approach him slowly. I'd find him a new home but I am afraid no one will want an unsociable bunny.

You should wait until 8 weeks post neuter, one of my own bunnies when he was neutered had one hell of a personality change. But he came back after the hormones calmed down again.

So keep them away and later try to bond them again ☺️

My bunny's name is Theo too 😁! I would just sit inside a playpen with him reading a book and wait. Don't pet him, don't touch him when he comes to you, just sit there reading. Maybe have some treats in your lap so when he comes over to smell you he will be rewarded. Here is a helpful link.

Latest posts

Back