Leaving rabbit an option?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexandra the great

Reaction score
long story short: we're leaving for the weekend and we need someone to watch Bean. We have a friend who is willing, but they have two dogs and three cats and I would be keeping Bean in a large dog crate.

My mom thought it would be okay to just leave him at our house for the 36 hours we are going to be gone. is that okay? We're leaving on Friday afternoon and getting back on Saturday close to midnight. Would he be alright left alone for that long?

I would say that would be fine provided you set things up appropriately. Be sure the water is in something that cannot be spilled or clogged. Bowls that attach to a cage/pen wall would work. I'd leave more than one bowl just to be sure.

Also, leave loads and loads of hay.

Do NOT leave extra pellets or bunny may eat them all at once and get tummy issues. As long as there is plenty of hay, they do not need extra pellets or extra greens.

Leaving him home would be far less stressful than bringing him to a different location -- especially one with dogs and cats.

I left my rabbit for that long before and he was fine. I gave him his usual pellets and vegetables before I left, then as Blue eyes said, put in lots of hay. One day with hay only shouldn't hurt.

If you don't already, you might want to consider a gravity water bowl.

If your friend doesn't mind coming over to check on Bean that would be optimal, but I don't see a problem with 36 hours.

My rabbit has been left alone for 5 weeks. It was okay. I have 1 dog. The rabbit was happy. Give it some lettuce and it will be okay.
I think you left out the rather important part about who cared for your rabbit in that time, and how. That a rabbit can be cared for by someone else isn't the question here.

update:
hello you guys, thank you so much for your advice and input.
I did end up taking him to my friend's house. I did this because I wasn't confident that he would be okay while I was gone. He had started escaping his pen recently and I was worried that we wouldn't be able to get back in again if I wasn't there.
He did well at our friend's house and from what I heard he wasn't especially bothered by the presence of the other animals. (It didn't surprise me since he disregards our two dogs as well when they're in my room.) He wasn't stressed when I came to pick him up, and as usual, he was super attentive on the car ride home. He is very happy to be home rn. The first thing he did upon arriving in my bedroom was to climb up the stairs to my sister's bunkbed and cuddle with her. (he loves her way too much🙄😂)
Thank you guys. =)

Latest posts

Back