Leaving on vacation but bunny has excess uneaten cecotropes and smaller poop...!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninalealcouture

Reaction score
Hi - my bun Leo is prone to GI issues and is about a month out from his latest bout of stasis, which we caught early thank goodness.
His poops have been fantastic since then and he's been eating his hay (which is great because he doesn't really like hay).
The last few days I've notice more unformed and uneaten cectropes in his pen.. and this morning his poops are about 1/2 the size of his normal ones.
This makes me nervous because I have to leave him for a week starting Sunday, and have a sitter come in twice daily to feed him, play with him etc.
I had started, about two weeks ago, transitioning him from a not-that-great commercial pellet (the McDonalds of pellets my vet calls it) to a vet recommended Science Select Grain free pellet. He loves this new pellet and would gladly just switch cold turkey, but I've been gradually replacing his regular ones. He only gets 1/8 cup a day of pellets (he is 3lbs).
I think I can trace the soft ceotropes to the start of that food...although he really doesn't get much of it. Could that be the issue? It's much a healthier food and higher in fibre, no grain and corn etc. My hope was to avoid future GI issues with this new food.
He also gets a cup of leafy greens a day and continuous Sherwood Timothy Free Choice pellets becuase he doesn't eat enough hay. He also has unlimited Timothy, Orchard and Oat hay.

I'm just so nervous to leave him for the week!

Can the sitter force feed the Bunny if it's required?
Is the sitter able to identify if the Bunny is unwell?
Do you have a camera that monitors your Bunny?

Latest posts

Back