Leaving my bunny alone (need advice ASAP!!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasperngravy

Reaction score
Hi, I have a bunny named Jasper and he is around 9-10 months old. He is a healthy boy and eats and drinks well, and he runs around daily. He's an inside rabbit, and we leave all the doors in the house open so he doesn't get bored when i go to school, or when my parents are at work. The most we have left him alone is a day (with unlimited hay, plenty of water and food). Although, we are going for a trip a couple of hours away and we will be out for four days. We have asked my auntie, who lives a few minutes away, to check up on our bunny twice a day, (once during the day, and other in the evening) so she can replace his water, hay and food and keep him company for a little bit of time. I'm located in NSW and it's currently summertime, so it gets really hot during the day, although the nights are cool. This is why i'm so worried. I would love it if i can get as much advice as possible, cause i haven't left him alone for more than one day.

Without any supervision, he will destroy stuff when you are away. They start remarking territory and exploring places that they usually wouldn't with others there. Id keep an area fenced off when he can stay. Like maybe baby gate a section you know he will be safe in. With adequate room of course, just so he doesn't have full free range

Let me first start by saying you are on track when it comes to traveling and leaving bunbun behind 👍..By having someone bunnysit, and dropping in in the morning and evening are what I request they come as well if my bunnysitter can't stay at my house (I now have my sister stay at my place and treat it like it's hers).

Welcome to my bunny parent problem #7 😉
"How to keep bunbun cool/warm in opposing weather"..

Ok, my advice is to go to a hardware store and get a ceramic tile or few and put them around the spaces your bunny goes.
They stay cooler than a wood or linoleum floor and a god send when you only have carpet.
If you can have fans going, the circulation of air helps to move it around so it isn't standing stale with the heat.

Your Aunt should be able to adjust the temp as needed ...for example, open a window while she does other things for bunbun's maintenance.

Enjoy your travels 😊

Hi, I have a bunny named Jasper and he is around 9-10 months old. He is a healthy boy and eats and drinks well, and he runs around daily. He's an inside rabbit, and we leave all the doors in the house open so he doesn't get bored when i go to school, or when my parents are at work. The most we have left him alone is a day (with unlimited hay, plenty of water and food). Although, we are going for a trip a couple of hours away and we will be out for four days. We have asked my auntie, who lives a few minutes away, to check up on our bunny twice a day, (once during the day, and other in the evening) so she can replace his water, hay and food and keep him company for a little bit of time. I'm located in NSW and it's currently summertime, so it gets really hot during the day, although the nights are cool. This is why i'm so worried. I would love it if i can get as much advice as possible, cause i haven't left him alone for more than one day.
Hi, I live in northern NSW so I understand your problem of temperature.
My bunny, Bluebell, is a veranda bunny, so semi-outside- the veranda is very shady.
I have a tray (an old large bird cage base) in which I put a damp towel and spray it with water daily.
This sits just under a day bed we have-her favourite spot.
She happily lays on this when the temperature is not to her liking.
Just another thought.

I'm on the west coast of Canada and our summers have been getting rather brutal, so fully understand the worry.

Good on you for setting up twice daily checks, as this is important for your bun.

I have just recently gotten two ceramic tiles for my buns to lay on when the summer comes, so I don't know yet if these work, but I hear they do if kept in a shady place.
If you have the ability to get some I'd recommend you do before you go away, that way you can ease your mind a tad.
Otherwise a fan, out of reach but blowing down will also be beneficial.

With someone checking on him twice a day he will probably be okay, thou he might chew on things you wouldn't like when not supervised to be safe I would remove anything he can get to that you really don't want to be possibly chewed on and to be sure you have cable protectors on the cables he can reach, if you are worried about him getting to hot during the day possibly you could put a fan on the floor for him to sit in front of if he gets a little hot but move away from when cooler at night (but make sure it has a cable protector)

I have just recently gotten two ceramic tiles for my buns to lay on when the summer comes, so I don't know yet if these work, but I hear they do if kept in a shady place.
If you have the ability to get some I'd recommend you do before you go away, that way you can ease your mind a tad.
Otherwise a fan, out of reach but blowing down will also be beneficial.

Something that can help keep tiles cool, is placing a frozen water bottle on it, wrapped in a cotton towel to soak up condensation. This provides active cooling for as long as the bottle remains frozen.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Hot_weather_concerns

Latest posts

Back