Leash training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that putting a leash on a rabbit is more like walking a cat than walking a dog.
Essentially I just follow them where ever they want to go rather than expecting them to follow me.

It's like missyscove said, you don't walk a rabbit you just follow the rabbit on a leash. It's not like walking a dog.

Rabbits aren't apt to walk on a leash and follow you. The leash is more to prevent them from hopping away if you are outside in an area that is not fenced or totally safe.
Even in agility, the leash is more for when we don't have the fence or of a rabbit isn't ready for off leash, and even then it is more to keep them on course and focused.

You just have to follow him ;) It's not like dogs, how they follow you. Rabbits lead you. ;) You can guide them to keep away from certain things, but you do this by picking them up, or just pointing them in the direction you want them to go - sometimes they'll go that way, sometimes not! lol.

Emily

I was clicker training him with a target, thinking he could get the idea if I could get him to follow the target, but he has no focus. Thanks for you input.

You can't "train" them to walk... Rabbits have a mind of their own... I just take Bentley outside in hers and throw her on the ground and she hops around, then stops, then runs, and does whatever.

Latest posts

Back