Lazy (?) rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aki

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't think it's anything serious, but it's the first time I have to face this problem: Tybalt, my new 7 months old rabbit is seriously lazy, especially in washing himself. I caught him several time washing himself while laying down (not because he can't get up to do it, he had a vet check up and is in perfect health, but because he couldn't be bothered to get up). He also washes his back paws very quickly... when he does it. He is mostly kept clean because my other rabbit washes him (I caught her washing under his feet too the other day, it was the first time I saw her doing that to another rabbit... Tybalt kept laying down, looking rather pleased with himself), but the under side of his feet are pretty yellow despite him being a free range rabbit with a daily cleaned litter tray. I am worried his sloppy cleaning might lead to pododermatitis or something. I am not much keen on washing him because I know you are not really supposed to wash rabbits and I am afraid it might be unsettling for him.
As I said, he is in perfect health otherwise. He is young and not at all overweight. He's also got plenty of energy when it comes to make mischief, run around or steal food.
Have someone else been faced with the same problem? What can I do to encourage him to wash himself better? Seems to me like he just isn't really interested in doing that kind of stuff (boys will be boys... my girl is a neat freak and I suspect she is washing him a lot because the smell bothers her, because she is otherwise pretty dominant XD).
Thank you!

Theo is a lazy washer. He has yellow feet AND a bit of sore hocks, but that is really because he was kept in a cage sitting in his own pee all the time before I got him.

I wouldn't be too worried.

This picture shows a bit of his urine burn. (Which he got before I took him home)

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400694256.037020.jpg

At least, Theo has the excuse of a trauma, then. Tybalt has never been kept in a cage since he was 2 months old and always been in good living conditions. He just is a lazy bunny. I hope it doesn't come to the kind of urine burn your rabbit has on the photo... it looks like it might hurt :tears2:

I had a lazy washer, Rosebun. I had to rinse out his bum and feet in the sink twice a week, he didn't like it but it was necessary because he'd started developing urine burn.

Better the momentary discomfort of a butt bath every now and then than a constant, painful problem that your bunny suffers 24/7.

At least, Theo has the excuse of a trauma, then. Tybalt has never been kept in a cage since he was 2 months old and always been in good living conditions. He just is a lazy bunny. I hope it doesn't come to the kind of urine burn your rabbit has on the photo... it looks like it might hurt :tears2:

Yes, poor bun. I don't think it hurts anymore because he's not sitting in his urine all day anymore. I am starting his treatment this week because he is not stressed out from moving to a new home anymore and I feel comfortable butt bathing him.

Latest posts

Back