Lazy bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsMommy2012

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a lazy bunny? He never wants to come out and play. Only during the night when it's time for bed. I understand that during the day is their resting hours but does anyone have any suggestions on how to encourage him to play? ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1414947049.894023.jpg

Rabbits definitely keep their own time table. Mine also mostly lounge during the day. They will have a few spurts during odd times throughout the day -- sometimes for a spell during late morning or mid-afternoon. But they are most active from 9 or 10 pm to midnight-ish. Fortunately, we are usually up late, so that works fine for us.

There are a few things you can do, though, to encourage his curiosity. One is to continually change up his larger toys. Trade out boxes for other boxes. Configure them in different ways. Have the tunnel lead to a box. Drape a cloth over two boxes that are separated to make a 'fort.' Just the act of changing that area will pique his curiosity.

Another thing that might help is to arrange the pen in a way that allows a larger play area. Making use of an existing wall or (better yet) a corner, could greatly increase the square footage of his roaming space and provide him the space to run. Some of the photos are just samples of how the pen can be used to better advantage.

sams x pen.jpg

100_7901.jpg

The problem is my room is small so putting it in the middle of my room is the biggest spot. I wish I was more creative with making things out of boxes but I don't have a creative bone in my body.

My boy bunny, all he does is eat, sleep, poop, and lay around. He's done it since we first got him. So you're not alone, he doesn't even mess with any toys or anything.

Rocket will chew cardboard but that's it. Has no interest in balls with bells in them or anything. I even have salt licks on his cage and I never see him lick/chew them.

Some rabbits seems to have no interest in "toys." Cardboard seems to be a more common 'favorite.'

You can try re-arranging the boxes and trading them out. I seem to always have a few, partially-chewed boxes lying around in my shed waiting to be re-used at a later time.

I would remove the salt licks. Those are controversial. They have no benefit, but may be harmful.

Have you tried stuffing hay into empty TP tubes? Those are often a big hit.

I agree with blue eyes but another thing that might make them seem lazy and tired would be the heat. Since rabbits can't control their body temperature they tend to lie around to conserve their energy. If they're laying around on a hot day, trying wetting him down and placing his cage in a cool, shady area.

Latest posts

Back