Latte is bleeding! RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalena2148

Reaction score
I took Latte outside today on his leash for the first time. He was binkying, relaxing...but then my hubby picked him up and noticed his left small toe was bleeding! It looks like the nail is almost completely off! It's hanging by a little bit. There is no vet open close around here.

What should I do? Can I get him some over the counter stuff for pain? I'm out of Metacam.

This happened to Madison a few months ago, Her nail did come off completely, but it healed over fine and it doesn't affect her at all. She still has the toe, just no nail on it. (A back foot).

How badly bleeding is it? Is it like the quick was cut (that's what Maddie's was like, and there wasn't very much blood). How is he acting? Like he's in pain?

It's bleeding pretty bad; he keeps cleaning it. He is acting like he's in pain now. I might just take him to the vet to get some metacam.

One of my friend's bunnies did that. She didn't bring him to the vet, just kept an eye on things, and it healed up pretty quickly.

Hmm, wouldn't it be very expensive on a Sunday though? What is it people use to stop quicks bleeding..can't remember, will look it up now. Flour works I think though, worth a shot. Good luck!

Yes, flour works, as does corn starch. These type of injuries bleed a lot, that's totally normal. The bleeding will actually help to flush the wound.

Well is there anything I can give him for pain besides Metacam? I would hate to bring him in on a Sunday. But, what do I do if the nail is still on by a little bit? Cut it off? Let it fall off?

I was trimming Heidi's claws last week and started a bleed and it looked like her whole foot was going to be gone for the blood.

Bo's missing 2 nails from that. Just keep it in a bowl of flour. A petstore might carry a stop bleed for that. Petsmart has it cause they sent some home with Sydney when she had a nail bleed one time - the grooming salon.

Alright, it's stopped bleeding for the most part. The nail is gone now. I'm thinking he yanked it off. Anything I can do for pain?

The bleeding is normal. I should expect it has stopped by now. If it starts up again, use corn starch and wet it a tad bit to make a putty and hold it there for a while. You can even use dish soap. I haven't tried it but that's what was in my books. I just finished my emergency medicine lesson. Lol.

As for the nail, I really don't know. I think I would try and leave it til tomorrow. You can try a bandage and see if he doesn't play too much with it. :?

Don't worry, those things happen to the best of us. :hug:

Nah, don't give him anything. It's really not major. It is a tad painful but I guess it's like us stubbing our toe or something. You would probably do worse by giving him pain meds because sometimes meds afftect their system. It's just really scary for us delaing with it. :)

Ok. Bleeding stopped. I packed it with flour and I iced it. We layed down for a while and he seems calmer. Very snuggly. He's back in his cage with a blanket on the bottom of it for cushion.

We'll definitely will be keeping an eye on him.

Thanks for all your help! :)

its worse for them when the nail is still part attached as it rubs on the nerve now it has come off it will be fine. just like when we catch a nail! Dennis did that with 3 claws cause he jumped out of my arms onto the patio, sily bun that he is wouldn't wait for me to put him down!!

Glad he's ok! These nail rips can look so much worse than they are. I hit Basil's quick a while back and it was so much blood it was scary.

If the bleedings stopped he should be ok and shouldnt need pain meds.

If you think of it, it would be good to make a bunny first aid kit- I keep pain meds, styptic powder etc in case of emergency.

Im glad you didnt have to take him to the vets, I can imagine they'd slap you with a 200 bill to trim a toenail :)

I'm glad he's doing ok now! I've had this several times with Mocha and once with Fey. Broken nails bleed a ton but don't do much damage or cause much pain beyond the initial sting. I guess it's like pinching your finger in the door but not hitting your finger bone. I put either cornstarch or flour on the nail to help it clot, then let the bun go on it's merry way. Usually they forget about it after they're done cleaning it. Keep an eye on the toe to make sure it heals ok, but usually there won't be a problem from this.

Latest posts

Back