Large litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasenpfeffer

Reaction score
My bunny Adahia just had a litter of 11 bunnies ( one died so we're left with ten ) but I've noticed three of the babies aren't keeping up and getting wrinkly :( Adahlia doesn't mind if i turn her over and latch the bunnies to get a good feed so I have done that twice but one really isn't catching up. Should I just expect at least two to not make it? She a quite small so 11 babies was a shock but I really want to give them all the best chance. Suggestions?

That is a lot. She needs free choice pellets, hay and, of course water. What may work better is if you remove the babies, make a safe, warm place to keep them in tow groups. Give her one group to feed in the morning, and the other in the evening. Babies are fine eating once a day and, the mother will be fine feeding twice a day, just five each time.

Is there a point where you would say they have better chances ? Say if they make it to ten days (for example ) then you know they are probably ok? We still have all ten so far!

About two weeks is safe zone but they still have a high risk of dying until over right weeks it just lessens by two weeks and gradually gets less likely.

After two weeks, the other time period when the mortality rate goes up a bit is around weaning. Some kits who do okay on mom's milk have a hard time transitioning to pellets and it's usually because of an immature digestive system.

Latest posts

Back