"Lame" back leg or is he being stoopid?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv-bunniz

Reaction score
I let CJ out this morning (first morning of being here) and he was hopping around his cage whilst I cleaned him out (bless, he only stays around his cage :biggrin2: but..well...lets just say the MALE parrot has a secret admirer! so sometimes CJ ( a HE!) ventures around a bit ) but my mum kept saying every 3 hops or so he wouldn't hop on his back left leg, I felt it today ( I was holding his on my side) and that leg seemed a bit more "lame" then the other hind leg, I wondered if we should take him to the vets for an examination (but the vets only gave him a full examination 2 days ago!) or we should leave him see if it heals or whether this is just something rabbits do? He didnt seem to be in pain when I mess with his hind legs and he hops on it OK when he does. He is eating, drinking, cleaning, pooping, peeing etc, it just puzzled me a bit.

Thanks!

Does he seem to be "favoring" the leg, or does he appear to have trouble moving it? Could he have injured himself in any way? Any kind of limb or mobility issue is a cause for concern. I've never experienced something like this, but I'd carefully observe him for a few minutes and then call the vets if he still appears to be having an issue with his leg.

Matt

P.S. Moving this to the Infirmary.

Thanks and Nope, he dosent seem to be bothered by it, I havnt seen it yet but as soon as my mum said he did it he just hopped off quite happily, he has been cleaning himself inclu. that leg and he seems fine by it, he has been out all day today and has been normal, he is sleeping on me ATM and he isnt phased at all. I think we will take him to the vet anyways to get neutered and vaccinated so I'll get the vet to check him then I just thought it was weird how he wasnt phased about and maybe he just put a foot wrong (or slipped as its wood flooring).

PS. I don't think he could have injured himself anywhere but we took him off somebody who worked at the vets because the poor little thing had been mauled by a dog. :grumpy:..petstore.

Have you checked his toenails to see if maybe he ripped off a nail or something? Look around his area for any signs of blood too.

I would keep an eye on him and if its still like that on Monday I would take him in. Is he eating and drinking normally? Acting normally otherwise?

He is acting normal from what I know, he is binkying, eating, drinking, and def. pooping! lol
I didnt think to check his nails.....nope no ripped nails either. :? When he was at the vets (when they rescued him) they did x-rays on his whole body and said nothing was broken everything was normal. If I see it happen tomorrow I can always take him to the emergency vets anyway. I am wondering now though whether he slipped on the wood flooring and he just hurt his leg a bit, but I have just been watching him and he is boucing around as normal and kicks my mum as normal :p .

We took him to the vet this morning and he did another set of X-rays of both legs (he wanted the two x-rayed so he could compare them) and he said "nothing is broken but the one leg looks a bit abnormal shaped, its kind of bowed on the upper part of the leg but nothing is being affected£ he asked me if he jumps over stuff alot and if he possibly bangs his leg on them and I said he may do that on the cage door so I made a ramp going into the cage for him and I will have to see how that works out. Thanks again! :)

Latest posts

Back