Lack of appitite/water.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragon grass mats are safe. That'swhat my buns have. I'm not sure exactly what the grass is asin species name and all. I've found references to "blackdragon grass" which is an ornamental grass and a weed killer that killscrab grass and dragon grass.

I can tell you I've seen it recommended by a number of rabbit rescues and a whole bunch of online bunnylovers.:D

I'm never overloaded with info =P

I just have to find a good pellet. The only timothy based one I wasable to find (one other place I can check, Tractor Supply but they wereclosed) doesn't seem to meet up to the recommendations. Here are thespecs before I let Bud eat any...

Crude Protein min - 16.0%
Cude Fat min 2.5%
Crude Fiber max 22.0%
Moisture 12.0%

I honestly do think he is altered already. He doesn't spray, alwaysmakes in the litter box (for the most part of course.) He doesn't chewlike crazy or seem to fuss with anything really. He just gets moodywhen he doesn't get his way and shows it. Hes not afraid of anythingreally expect REALLY loud noises. It was actually like we bought himduring his hormonal time which seems to be fading.

Also. Hope this doesn't gross anyone out but could someone post apicture of a cecal? (or whatever they're called) So I know what to lookfor in the difference of poop. Whats normal/abnormal ect. Might PM itto me instead of posting on a public thread =P

Jace wrote:
could someone post a picture of a cecal? (or whateverthey're called) So I know what to look for in the difference of poop.Whats normal/abnormal ect. Might PM it to me instead of posting on apublic thread =P
There was one posted in another thread here today. I'll go find it....

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH]

I thought those were the result of him eating too much sugar (back when he had 10 raisins a day)

Makes a lot more sense now! Thanks a bunch =)

Cecals are often the result of too muchsugar. They can also be caused from other things like toomuch protein.

My poor Toby gets hardly any veggies because they cause excess cecals in him.

Are cecals good or bad? Or should there be a certain of cecal/normal ratio to look for?

I decided to order the 10lb bag of Oxbow pellets for Bud and did the fastest shipping so they'd get here.

Your bunny should eat all of hiscecals. The cecals are the way bunnies get maximum nutritionout of their food. All the good vitamins are pulled into thececal pellets.

Normally you won't see any, if you bunny is healthy as they eat them asthey come out. Occasionally you'll see one every once in awhile, but very rare.

If a bunny is too fat, they can sometimes have a heard time reachingdown and retrieving their cecals as they eat them right from the anus.

--Dawn

Well I was kinda worried about not seeing anybut I took off of work early today to spend time with him and help himand I saw first him that he was eating them. He is also eating a lotmore and back on a normal appetite. Hes also going to the bathroom infull loads again and they look good in size/texture. Hes doing a lotbetter I believe. Thanks a lot guys it really helped. can't thank youguys enough :happydance

Hurray for Bud!

Im glad to hear he seems to be feeling better! Once you get him back onthe pellets and such, he should beone very healthy (and veryspoiled) bunny:)

Keep us posted :wink

Jace wrote:
The only timothy based one I was able to find (oneother place I can check, Tractor Supply but they were closed) doesn'tseem to meet up to the recommendations. Here are the specs before I letBud eat any...

Crude Protein min - 16.0%
Cude Fat min 2.5%
Crude Fiber max 22.0%
Moisture 12.0%
Hey, for the record, that's not a bad pellet. Love to knowthe calcium count. The fiber is adequate (depending on theminimum), the protein is okayif he's an active bunny, not toofat and/orprone to excess cecals or poopy butt.

TheOxbow of course is better, though. Just remember to introduce all new foods very slowly.

Jace wrote:

I honestly do think he is altered already. He doesn't spray,always makes in the litter box (for the most part of course.) Hedoesn't chew like crazy or seem to fuss with anything really. He justgets moody when he doesn't get his way and shows it. . . . It wasactually like we bought him during his hormonal time which seems to befading.
You're sure he's not a girl? You can't tell by seeingsomething 'pop up', girls 'pop up' too. If he's a boy, hislittle part will be round, if she's a girl, it will be aslit. I can't get the link to show up in here, so I'll makeanother reply.

Jace wrote:
Also. Hope this doesn't gross anyone out but could someone posta picture of a cecal? (or whatever they're called) So I know what tolook for in the difference of poop. Whats normal/abnormal ect. Might PMit to me instead of posting on a public thread =P

I know Laura posted the link (thanks!) but here's the pic of someregular poop (light coloured) stuck to a clump of cecals (darker,shinier):

poopscecals.jpg

Hope this helps!

sas

Jace wrote:
Also. Hope this doesn't gross anyone out but could someonepost a picture of a cecal? (or whatever they're called) So I know whatto look for in the difference of poop. Whats normal/abnormal ect. MightPM it to me instead of posting on a public thread =P

Here's normals cecals ( upper left)
....and runny/mushy/soft poops (lower right)

I've yet to see anything even remotely runny sothats a good sign. Also, the problem sexing Bud isn't really being ableto find it. I've done it many times on cats/snakes/dogs ect. Its justthat Bud doesn't likebeing touched really (although he hasstarted doing this thing, figured i'd ask you guys while at it... wheni was petting him softly to try and get him used to my touch, insteadof him pulling away from me he decided to start checking hay andshredding stuff like crazy (never biting me or attempting, just keepinghis body in place and moving his head around a lot to chew/shredwhatever, mostly hay and his little hammok in his cage) so I don't knowif he was being hyper/happy and playing or trying to show me he wasn'thappy.)

Anyway, i'm too afraid that if I were to corner him and restrain himjust to find his sex it would stress him out and possibly even losesome trust which in my opinion really isn't worth it. But if he isgetting more used to being petted and everything then one day i'll tryand feel a little bit. I'll see if i can actually record his behaviourtwords being touched so u guys can see it first hand and understand itbetter.

Anyway, thanks for all the info guys, you guys are great.

Bud says thanks too!:bunnydance:

Yeah, probably best to wait until you can build up some more trust, especially because there's no rush to know for sure...

Those pictures Pipp posted are X-rated though!:shock2:lol :)

About the behavior, its hard to say, but he was probably playing. If hedidnt like what you were doing, he would probably hop away or grunt orsomething...

Yeah it was really like hes was thinking "heyi'm getting attention and this actually feels great lets play" but Ijust wanted to double check. :)

He kinda does the same thing when I get home from work. I let him outand sit down with him. He seems bored at first then when I starttalking to him and following him around on my hands and knees he getsreally excited and binkies/runs around like crazy. Lots of quick headtwitches too, those are my favorite =P

Sexing Bud Update -

So today when I got home Bud had drank his usual ammount of water. Thepellets I gave him were completely gone (tablespoon) and so was themustard greens. He was in a very great mood and wanted out of that cageto play more than ever. While he was doing the "Oh look how much I canshred cause i'm cool like that" routine while I pet him (mentionedearlier, only time I can get some real contact with him without himpulling away) Anyway. He was doing his tunnel thing and I realize hishind end was hanging out so I decide to go ahead and give it a try.Took a little bit of feeling around to make sure the anus wasn'ttesticles (had to be sure!) and sure enough (i wasn't able to see) butcould feel the slight pulse of his junk. So he is for sure a male, morethan likely neutered (if the testicles hadn't dropped would I still beable to feel them?) and he is doing SO much better.

:bunnydance:

Hurray Bud!

Glad to hear his appetite is back up and he's back tonormal!Good job starting small on the pellets, just work yourway up over the next 1-2 weeks and he should be right as rain.

Glad to hear he is really a he. Do we know how old he is? Imnot sure, but I dont think you could really feel testicles if they'reundescended. From the pics and such, he looks like he shouldbe old enough that they would be descended.

Anyway, glad to hear things are looking up! Keep us posted!

-Haley

OH, and I know what you mean about the head flicks..theyre awesome! MyTumnus has a crazy afro (hes a lionhead) so the flicks are veryexaggerated :)

Latest posts

Back