knowledge on baby bunnies needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiemonster

Reaction score
Hey, I need all the info i can about baby bunnies... what to feed and what not to feed basically everything I need to know about babies....

some more specific questions are when to wean, when do they start eating, when can i rebreed mom, when do the babies get to an age that they can breed??

At 8 weeks they are ready to move away from the mom, sometimes even earlier but better wait until 8 weeks, around that age they are weaned from the mom and eat full soiled food. Around 4-7 weeks they start to eat food but are still drinking milk from the mom.

Doe are often ready to breed around the age of 6 months and 1 year. Depending on what breed, that’s what I’ve read. Bucks can breed when they get sexuall mature.

You should separate bucks and does, that’s because some bucks and does can be sexuall mature when they become 3 months old, better be safe.

You can rebreed the mom, if she looks healthy and have a beautiful fur ( not during molting). Rabbit moms can breed directly after they’ve born the kits but it wouldn’t be nice on her.

Is it okay that I take them away from mom and play with them?? mom always gets nervous if i touch them when she is there... what type of food should i feed or what is the best brand to feed?? what treats are okay for the babies??? is it okay that I leave a baby in with mom a little longer than the others??? how do you tell if they are male or female?? when can you tell the genders??
At 8 weeks they are ready to move away from the mom, sometimes even earlier but better wait until 8 weeks, around that age they are weaned from the mom and eat full soiled food. Around 4-7 weeks they start to eat food but are still drinking milk from the mom.

Doe are often ready to breed around the age of 6 months and 1 year. Depending on what breed, that’s what I’ve read. Bucks can breed when they get sexuall mature.

You should separate bucks and does, that’s because some bucks and does can be sexuall mature when they become 3 months old, better be safe.

You can rebreed the mom, if she looks healthy and have a beautiful fur ( not during molting). Rabbit moms can breed directly after they’ve born the kits but it wouldn’t be nice on her.

You can already see the different genders but it get easier the older they get. Look at the picture, the picture above it’s a buck rabbit. There’s a bigger gap between the anus and the urethra while the doe it’s closer to the anus which it’s the picture under the buck. And also the urethra it’s more elongated, english aren’t my first language so doesn’t know if I used the right words. Those rabbits on the picture are 3 weeks old.

At 8 weeks it’s a lot easier to see but sometimes it can be really hard.

It’s okay you leave a baby longer as long she dosen’t get tired or aggressive towards the kit.

You can play with them when they started to explore, the mother often become more safe and the kits also starting to eat hay and pellets.

Let the kits eat the same brand as the mother, it’s because rabbits have really sensitive stomach and if you give food that are just for the kit the mother will eat it also while the other way around if you can’t keep them separated.

Just let them have hay and pellets, they can eat treats but it will have to be a really small amount but it’s better to just have hay and pellets. To let their stomach adapt.

Attachments

• 8B9CC18D-211E-47E3-8FBA-AFC7D47D5DC6.jpeg
    8B9CC18D-211E-47E3-8FBA-AFC7D47D5DC6.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back