Kiwi & Papaya

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah

Reaction score
I don't know what to do. I have two buns- kiwi & papaya. Kiwi is 5 & Papaya is 4. I have a basement apt (walk out), so lots of light. I met my boyfriend 2 years ago, & he lives 4 mins from where my buns are. The apt that my buns have (bunny house), the my parents live in the upstairs portion of the house. My boyfriend has a horse farm, which my horse lives. I work on the property where my buns live (my parents business), so I'm there early in the morning to clean, feed etc. They have a huge xpen, & during the day (8am- 7pm), they are free range, so they have access to my whole apt to run. I feed dinner between 5 & 7pm, & then my parents do night check between 9-10pm. I am in out during the day while i work to check on them (top up food & water if needed etc).
My boyfriend & I stay overnight about once a week. I have a camera that's on them when I am not there which alerts me on any movement, I can see their hay & water & what they are doing. I want the bunnies to move to my boyfriends house, but he (we), have two very big dogs whom (one of them), may think they are a play toy, & kill them. My boyfriend is very supportive of my buns (he loves them), but it's not safe to have them here. What do I do ? I miss them so much when I'm not there with them, but I love my boyfriend too. The only reason they are not here is because of one of the dogs. I really don't know what I'm asking, but just wanted to talk to like minded bunny people & serif anyone has any similar experiences.

Is there somewhere they could go where the dog can't get. Also what breed is the dog?

My boyfriend & now myself, have two dogs. One is a ridgeback/ boxer cross (she would be fine with them), the other is an American bull dog. We dont know his history, as we found him on the side of the road. We put up posters, contacted animal control etc, & no one came forward to claim him. He's a good dog, but is still in that puppy faze, & dosent always listen...
My boyfriend said I can bring the buns to live there, but he's really worries, that if we are not home (or even if we are home), that the American bulldog, would think that they are a toy, try to play with them, & kill them.
So, what do I do ?

Hey Mariah, welcome back!

It sounds like a difficult dilemma. I think I would only do it if you had a room entirely for the buns. But even then you would have to be so diligent about taking extra precautions and keeping the door shut at all times. I would definitely urge caution in your decision though. Several years ago a horrible mistake happened and I had a bun killed by a dog just wanting to 'play' with her. So even being as careful as possible, mistakes can still happen.

I do know of people that have dogs and buns in the same home, though not necessarily ever together in the same room, so it can work. But it takes a lot of care to be able to make it work, as well as training the dogs properly to accept the buns presence in the home as being part of the household.

When it comes to dogs and rabbits, the size of the dog doesn't make a difference. The breed can make a difference. Many dogs can be trained how to behave around a rabbit. Some have too much genetic disposition to overcome.

If you and your boyfriend have worked on training the new dog in general, then you should have a feel for how well he respects you two as 'boss.'

I believe the common mistake people make is allowing their dogs to "play" with their rabbit. We have (and have had) various dogs with our rabbits. However, the dogs are not permitted to "play" with them. They can interact by sniffing (or possibly licking - depending on dog), but never by following, chasing, barking, etc.

I have used a specific method to train each of our dogs to behave properly around the rabbits. It is explained in detail at my website here. Nevertheless, as others have also stated, if there is any doubt as to what a dog will do around a rabbit, then err on the side of caution and keep them apart (most especially when not supervised).

The dogs need to be shown how to behave before interacting (as opposed to just trying to correct undesirable behavior after the fact).

6.jpg

Last edited:
Thank u for the warm welcome back !

I do not trust the "new dog" at all. He listens sometimes, & the other times he does not. He means well, but ... My boyfriend is definitely alpha. However, there are times when he does not even listen to him. I want my buns in our home, but I worry that when we are not home, the dog, would get into their room, think they are toys, and well, the ending would not be good. My buns have grown up with dogs, a golden retriever, & the golden has always been fine with them, & had never done anything wrong to them.
It's such a hard position to be in. I see my buns all day long, as I work on the property they live at (my parents business. I even have a bunny cam, so when I am at work or at my boyfriends house (mine too), I can check in on them, & even talk to them through the camera.
It just really sucks, because I want them here, & I really don't feel it's safe to do so. I miss them so much

I mean, you'd have to try to train the dog not to go after the rabbits. Or keep them in one room with the door closed all day and never let the dogs in there. Other than that, you might just be risking the rabbits' lives. I would wait until he grows up a bit and calms down. Then work on introductions- if you need to have them introduced. But if they have a good home at your parents', don't rush anything. Rushing is what causes problems.

Latest posts

Back