Kiwi is not well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Mariah,

Hope your Kiwi eats soon, and definitely hope Papaya doesn't start acting depressed. I'm not gonna lie, my bun pouts a few times a month because I work most of the day too and we don't get to play very often. I am curious to know how sensitive rabbits are to grief and new companions. Please keep us posted, and I'm sorry not to be more help but I am sending lots of love your way and I want to suggest the disabled rabbits yahoo group. They have been really awesome and there are some people who really know their stuff.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DisabledRabbitsOT

Maybe leaving a radio or tv on near her would help.

I had Honey out in an xpen a few times this spring & will be doing again a few times now it's cooled off. I think she'll like leaves falling on her in the xpen. There are wild rabbits around here, so I dust the area in the days before with food-grade diatomaceous earth to kill off any parasites. And I have to be sure to avoid the parts of the lawn that has ground ivy in it, so it won't make her sick.

My little Snugs had a phase were he seemed down in the dumps. I just tried to give him as much attention as possible, and make sure I gave him alone time if he wanted it.

If I had a suggestion it would be reiki! Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing.
I like to do reiki with Snugs all the time! I put him on the couch next to me and he will sit for ages while I hold my hands over him. He gets incredibly relaxed and soothed by it. It's also an excellent bonding tool, because animals really feed off your body energy. That being said you have to be calm, cool, and collective when you're doing it so the stress doesn't pass on!

I will defintely check the disabled rabbit site out!

I went out and got a radio so I will turn that on for them when I'm not home.

Kiwi seems a bit more active then a couple days ago. Like I said I'm noticing a trend. When I sit on the floor in the living room she will come too and play and follow me around. If I get up to do something she goes back in her x pen. Maybe I am her new Citrus?

Kiwi dosent like to be held, so reiki is not an option. It would stress her out too much to have her in my lap :(

She is eating and pooping. Poor little girl, misses her Citrus Chicken.

Just a little update on kiwi:

She is back in her depression again. She's a sad little girl. She's eating, drinking, pooping and peeing...

But she seems very lethargic. Dosent want to come run around. I tried bonding her with Papaya again, as its been 5 weeks since his neuter. I thought that may have brought kiwis mood up. Tonight, Papaya was being a very good boy and just running around exploring. Kiwi was following him (and I was following her). They were good for about 5 minutes, with Kiwi grooming Papaya and then she started circling him... I seperated them immediately.

Why would she do this? He wasent doing anything wrong!!! :(

I thought they did circling when they like someone. Was she acting upset? She may have just decided that she actually does like him.

Its odd but it seems when they're circling people it's a 'I want to love you' thing, but circling bunnies is 'I want to bite your butt!'

Sometimes you have to just let them duke it out, as long as its just hair pulling. If they are in a big space with a lot of places to get away from somebunny and mark boundaries (chairs, boxes, etc), they will establish the dominance order and/or avoid each other.

sas :clover:

I am so scared to let them duke it out! They have fought before Papaya was neutered and to get them apart was hell. They kept running away from me and fighting which was just hair pulling.

Couldn't they serciously injure themselves by fighting?

Maybe just keep doing short little sessions as long as everything seems to be going ok, then separate them before anything turns bad. Then in time she may decide she really does like him. Just wondering, are their cages next to each other?

That's what I was thinking too. Short 5 minute sessions every night. Even if they hate each other at least they get a bit of social with another bun.

Yes, their cages are side by side. Their x pens which are attached to eag of their cages are also side by side. They will lay together on either side of the bunny barrier but when they are out together, it's a different story :(

Some really strange behaviors last night. I put the bunnies in their houses for the night around 1050 pm. Everything was fine. Kiwi was eating her pellets (the remaining ones), so I was happy about that. Then she started chewing on her bars which is normal for her after I put her to bed. So I went to bed. About 10 mins later, I hear her running in her cage, thumping her leg and throwing her ceramic food bowl around. I go to see what's wrong and she's in a complete panic. Breathing heavy. And just terrified. Keep in mind, Papaya is completly fine sitting there in his cage watching her freak out.

I checked her and her cage over, nothing scary in there. I opened her Che door and she jumped out but was terrified to go back in. I sat with her for a bit until her breathing became normal and got her back in her cage for the night. I went back to bed. 10 minutes later, the same thing happened again.

What is going on? It's 7am here and I'm getting ready for work. She pooped overnight (pellets are finished) but barly touched her hay and she again (like last night) didn't poop a lot.

I started her back on cisapride and metacam.

What more can I do for my little girl?

poor kiwi! she's a little bundle of distress lately... it must be so rough to see her going through it when there's no apparent cause :(

My only thoughts on kiwi is that she still misses citrus... I hope she dosent die of a broken heart... :(

I bought her the digestive supplement from oxbow but she won't eat it of course...

Latest posts

Back