Kitty and bunny bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordiwes

Reaction score
I got a new kitty over the weekend! Her name is Lizzie, she is 5 years old and she is really little. Here's a pic:

2.JPG

She has not met the bunnies yet but she went in our bedroom and Jordicould smell her. She started charging Wesley and me. So for now, thebunnies are sticking to their own bedroom.

We are trying to make a plan for bonding the bunnies to the kitty (or at least making it so that Jordi isn't so territorial).

Here's what we're doing so far:

We're bringing the bunnies into neutral territory in seperate carriers.We put Lizzie intoa carrier. Then we let out Jordi first,then put her back in her carrier, then let out Wesley. Take them bothback upstairs and feed them their dinner to distract them.

Last night went okay. They didn't really pay much attention to the cat.

The next step will be letting them out together.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Aw, what a pretty kitty! Congrats on your new fur kid!

We visita catat our local pet store that looks likeher (he lives at the pet store and everyone loves him). Ilove the black and white coat (hence Snuggy and Baby!). Don'tthey call that "Tuxedo" in cats?

Yay! Welcome, Lizzy!

Is she used to wearing a harness and leash? It's a good ideato have her on one when you start letting them out together.It makes it easier to rescue her from the buns if they get aggressive,or to rescue the buns if Lizzy doesn't understand that she can't playrough with them.

I'm still at that point with my kittens.

Hey! Welcome home, cute little Lizzy!!! What a cutie little tuxedo pie!!!!

We had kinda the opposite situation with our animals...the kitties werehere already when Maisie came home with us (as you might remember withmy myriad of posts about it all). So we had the oppositesetup...kitties out, bun in carrier (since a large cat carrier was hervery first home while I built her NIC condo).

When we first introduced Maisie to the kitties, she would go right upto them and introduce herself, and they would get SOoffended! It was really adorable!

My main form of advice is to make sure to either trim her claws or putsome Soft Claws or Soft Paws (websites with the same names) on them, soif she gets offended at their brashcome-up-in-her-face-to-say-hello-ness, she won't hurt them.

But, from the bun's perspective, I honestly am not toosure...especially if one's being agressive toward your kitty.Sorry! :?

If you ever need any kitty advice, though, feel free to PM me anytime! :)

Hugs and many warm wishes during the transition,

Rosie*

Jordi is being nice on neutral territory. Infact, the cat is scaring her. The kitty wants to play and is kind ofpouncing on her :?.

I wish Jordi would show some attitude so the cat will back off!

As for the territorial behavior, I'm kind of scared to test her again.We are going to build a door to block the upstairs from the downstairsand then let the bunnies free roam again. I guess time will tell. Imight just remove Wesley from the situation for a couple of hours andlet Jordi vent her anger on her own.

I'm in such new territory here that I'm never quite sure on what to do. Quite bewildered.

Is there anything I can do to help? Ireally wish I knew more on the bunny side of bonding to help youfully...but really I just know the kitty side. If your newkitty is trying to play with the buns, it's an excellent sign...on thekitty side of things. Don't worry...she's not viewing the bunas prey...she's playing as if they were other kitties. Intrying to play, she's trying to introduce herself...so you've got agood start there!

Like I said, I'm just not sure how to handle things on the bunny sideof things. I really wish I knew more...I'm sorry!But hopefully it'll be at least a little encouraging to know thatthings are going excellent on the kitty side of things! :)

Let me know if you have any kitty questions...any time, ok?

Hugs to all!

Rosie*

Latest posts

Back