Kittens and bunnies - NIC cage idea needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugwinkle

Reaction score
I'm getting a very young kitten in two weeks. My two bunnies live in our rec room. They have a large cage made from the NIC squares and a huge playpen attached to the cage. At the moment they are free to come and go from their cage to their playpen, however, from what I'm reading it sounds like I may have to keep the bunnies in their cage while the kitten gets use to the bunnies as I cannot be there to supervise them at all times and there is no way to close of the room so that the kitten can't get in.

The thing with the NIC cage is that it has huge square holes that a kitten could easily stick it's paws through. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can modify the cage in order that the kitten cannot stick it's paws in and harrass the buns?

Also, I would love to hear your experiences with introducing kittens to bunnies.

I use mesh (cm square stuff) on my lower NIC grids to prevent unwanted rabbit teeth or paws going through and it works really well. Should also work for a cat. I just cable tie it on which has worked brilliantly.

Would a puppy gate on the door work to keep the cat out? Although, if it climbs, I guess not and probably better to be on the safe side with it.

You could look at a lid to their run, and also ways to prevent the kitten getting to them through the bars (similar to the NIC grid issue). Personally, I think even if the kitten (and later the cat) and buns get on well, they shouldn't really be trusted alone because you never know what would make an animal flip (could be bunny, could be cat).

Flashy wrote:
I use mesh (cm square stuff) on my lower NIC grids to prevent unwanted rabbit teeth or paws going through and it works really well. Should also work for a cat. I just cable tie it on which has worked brilliantly.
Sorry to be off-topic here, but OH MY GOSH! We currently have a grid fence thing that we move to wrap around each cage, when the other pair is out, to stop Mouse and Chalk fighting through the bars with Barney and Snowy. If we used the mesh, we wouldn't need to drag a grid fence (that's heavy and awkward) across the room each time we swapped over bunnies! Why, oh why didn't I think of that before!

Thanks Tracy! :bow:bow:bow

I would be more worried about the rabbiot then the kitten in the meeting sense you say very young so 8 weeks or less is very young to me. So I am going off that age.

The kitten should be a little worry for a few day but after that with supervision they should be able to be around each other. As long as the buns accept it.

My kitten is 12 weeks old today and him and storm sleep together I never seem to have the cameria close enough to catch a picture. up until about 2 weeks ago he could fit through the big grids. His whole boddy. I still think he could but he does not anymore. For what ever reason.

My kitten also has a NIC cage for when where not home it is smaller then storms cage but he is only in it for five hours tops a day. Note this is not for storms safety it is for my wires and blinds safety. They teeth just like puppys

I would put a cover on top of there platy pen you could even make it out of nic grids. kittens can and will learn to climb anything fast. To small does not work with kittens. They can learn to use those things quick. all four of the kittens where climbing storm cage by 4 1/2 weeks. his cage is about a foot higher then your average baby gate

Flashy wrote:

Would a puppy gate on the door work to keep the cat out? Although, if it climbs, I guess not and probably better to be on the safe side with it.

You could look at a lid to their run, and also ways to prevent the kitten getting to them through the bars (similar to the NIC grid issue). Personally, I think even if the kitten (and later the cat) and buns get on well, they shouldn't really be trusted alone because you never know what would make an animal flip (could be bunny, could be cat).

I'm not quite sure what kind of mesh you are talking about.

Also, their run is huge so there is no chance of putting a lid on it.

mouse_chalk wrote:
Flashy wrote:
Sorry to be off-topic here, but OH MY GOSH! We currently have a grid fence thing that we move to wrap around each cage, when the other pair is out, to stop Mouse and Chalk fighting through the bars with Barney and Snowy. If we used the mesh, we wouldn't need to drag a grid fence (that's heavy and awkward) across the room each time we swapped over bunnies! Why, oh why didn't I think of that before!

Thanks Tracy! :bow:bow:bow
*bites tongue*

Latest posts

Back