kits overheating please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:))

Reaction score
I am new at rabbits and I was told I was Given two female rabbits..when actually, I was given opposite genders and my female had a litter of 6 kits last night.It is summer here in Texas with the highs in the 100 F my rabbit made a nest and pulled a lot of hair you would think a snowstorm was coming but no it’s 97 degrees today and the rabbits were covered in hair and extremely hot to the touch. I removed alittle bit of hair because they were struggling to separate...will they get too hot and die how can I prevent this ?

I assume they’re outside? Bring them (in the nestbox) inside and take them out in the evening so they can nurse. Yes, they can die if they get too hot. They really don’t need the hair when it’s warm.

I assume they’re outside? Bring them (in the nestbox) inside and take them out in the evening so they can nurse. Yes, they can die if they get too hot. They really don’t need the hair when it’s warm.

Yes they are outside I’m going to try this although I’m alittle worried because she doesn’t seem to be feeding them enough or at all now and if I take them out i don’t think she’ll nurse at all only one of the rabbits seems to be full the rest are skinny .

Are you giving the doe plenty of water? Do you have a fan on them? Having kits in the heat isn’t good for the kits, or the doe. You may need to bring them all inside until the kits get a little older. Heat, especially if it’s in the 90’s is a BIG stressor for nursing does and kits. I’d hate to see you lose them.

Are you giving the doe plenty of water? Do you have a fan on them? Having kits in the heat isn’t good for the kits, or the doe. You may need to bring them all inside until the kits get a little older.

The doe has two medium dog bowls of water and I refill it every couple of hours.The highs are gonna be the the 80’s this week is the 80’s too hot for kits ?

I know the mother is fine she’s adapted and can easily get through the 90’s now also with all the missing hair from pulling it im certain she’s fine with heat...I do things like freeze bottles give her frozen treats,and mist the top of the enclosed hutch in arid days with water she’s never showed signs of a heatstroke I’m just worried about the kits..

Low to mid 80’s is probably okay. They need air movement and not be smothered under the doe’s hair. Feel them to make sure they aren’t too warm. Adult rabbits can normally tolerate higher temps, but since she’s nursing the heat just causes some extra stress. I would still suggest you place a fan on the hutch if you leave the kits outside.

We live in Texas also and had to deal with heat. We always avoided breeding once it got into May just because it caused problems for litters. I realize yours was unplanned.

Freeze a plastic water bottle and put it in their cage, put ice in their water, give them frozen berries.

Low to mid 80’s is probably okay. They need air movement and not be smothered under the doe’s hair. Feel them to make sure they aren’t too warm. Adult rabbits can normally tolerate higher temps, but since she’s nursing the heat just causes some extra stress. I would still suggest you place a fan on the hutch if you leave the kits outside.

We live in Texas also and had to deal with heat. We always avoided breeding once it got into May just because it caused problems for litters. I realize yours was unplanned.

Thank you I removed hair from the top of the nest and they seem to be fine we added some things for ventilation moms doing fine :)

Latest posts

Back