Kits are here..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasminebunny

Reaction score
Hi my bun had kits , 4 healthy, well fed , warm kits.

I've only had 1litter before ,so what should I do?

Luckily my doe took to being a mom very quickly my babies are 19 days old. As long as there warm and got a belly they are good. Its hard to catch the doe feeding them. I was worried but i caught her wuth the babies. She is sneaky. As long as they are growing let momma do it.

Question didnt she just have a litter not to long ago. The only worry there is adequate nutrition and milk supply so hopefully all is well. Make sure the male is separated because she cant afford to get pregnant again.

Hi my bun had kits , 4 healthy, well fed , warm kits.

I've only had 1litter before ,so what should I do?

Just make sure that the mum is well fed and that’s she’s producing enough milk for the kits. It’s very likely that you won’t see her feeding them but the kits should feel warm and have large stomachs.

Let the mum do her thing. Make sure she and her kits are in a nice, quiet and sheltered space where they can’t get stressed.

You will likely not need to do anything unless the mum has abandoned the kits (like if the babies are cold, lethargic and not the healthy, pinkish colour).

The doe needs to have unlimited access to grass hay and pellets and water (people often use alfalfa pellets for their pregnant and feeding does). You can also feed a small amount of rolled oats to help with milk production.

Your main job is to make sure the next box is clean and dry, and that the doe and kits are well fed. You can check on the babies everyday, but some does won’t want you to touch them for the first few days or so, especially if the doe is skittish of people in general.

Ask yourself these:
Has she made a good nest? Is she producing milk? Do the kits look full? Do they feel warm?

If the answer is yes, then it sounds like she’s doing a good job. She can get pregnant again within hours of having her litter though, so keep her away from any males.

Question didnt she just have a litter not to long ago. The only worry there is adequate nutrition and milk supply so hopefully all is well. Make sure the male is separated because she cant afford to get pregnant again.
She did but couldn't get to the babies to feed them .
They didn't make it.

She jumped on Jasmines cage and got to the male

Just make sure that the mum is well fed and that’s she’s producing enough milk for the kits. It’s very likely that you won’t see her feeding them but the kits should feel warm and have large stomachs.

Let the mum do her thing. Make sure she and her kits are in a nice, quiet and sheltered space where they can’t get stressed.

You will likely not need to do anything unless the mum has abandoned the kits (like if the babies are cold, lethargic and not the healthy, pinkish colour).

The doe needs to have unlimited access to grass hay and pellets and water (people often use alfalfa pellets for their pregnant and feeding does). You can also feed a small amount of rolled oats to help with milk production.

Your main job is to make sure the next box is clean and dry, and that the doe and kits are well fed. You can check on the babies everyday, but some does won’t want you to touch them for the first few days or so, especially if the doe is skittish of people in general.

Ask yourself these:
Has she made a good nest? Is she producing milk? Do the kits look full? Do they feel warm?

If the answer is yes, then it sounds like she’s doing a good job. She can get pregnant again within hours of having her litter though, so keep her away from any males.
She didn't birth in the nest box.
Should I leave the babies where they are even though they are not in the nest box?
They have a nice layer of fur on top of them.

Where are they? Can you make a picture of the current situation?

Wasn't it your litter that ended in desaster after moving the nest or someone elses, can't remember?

Best is to do nothing for the first week after an initial first check on the nest. Short checks without disturbing them are ok once a day, but leave them alone all the other time.
Doe needs food, food, privacy and after 2 days her normal routine again, with hours of privacy around dusk and dawn to feed the kits undisturbed.
Raising rabbit isn#t rocket science, they do most stuff on their own if we let them.

She is the one who has loads of rabbits and loads of guinea pigs 🐷 and can’t provide any hay for them as she can’t afford it

Where are they? Can you make a picture of the current situation?

Wasn't it your litter that ended in desaster after moving the nest or someone elses, can't remember?

Best is to do nothing for the first week after an initial first check on the nest. Short checks without disturbing them are ok once a day, but leave them alone all the other time.
Doe needs food, food, privacy and after 2 days her normal routine again, with hours of privacy around dusk and dawn to feed the kits undisturbed.
Raising rabbit isn#t rocket science, they do most stuff on their own if we let them.
They are in her cage , it was my last litter who got not fed.
Does she ,or the babies need alfalfa hay?
Or anything else?
I'm going to get whatever I need to get to feed her and them today so I want to know

She didn't birth in the nest box.
Should I leave the babies where they are even though they are not in the nest box?
They have a nice layer of fur on top of them.
Is Pumpkin okay with you touching them? If so, you can move them into the nest box and out the fur in the nest as well.
They are in her cage , it was my last litter who got not fed.
Does she ,or the babies need alfalfa hay?
Or anything else?
I'm going to get whatever I need to get to feed her and them today so I want to know
The babies will eat solely mums milk for the first three weeks, and then they would start to eat a small amount of pellets or hay. Mum can get alfalfa if you think she needs it, but unlimited grass hay (such as timothy or meadow hay) will be okay, along with unlimited alfalfa pellets. Rolled oats will also help her to produce milk for the babies. Care of Baby Rabbits. Taking care of rabbits to age 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back