Kit Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhart

Reaction score
Hi all!
So I just had my first litter ever born last Wednesday. My standard Rex doe has done amazingly well for a first time mom. I haven’t really had any issues up until now. Yesterday I discovered three of the five kits outside the nest box lying on the wire. I put them back in and they just leaped right back out. I can tell this is keeping them from being fed, making them even more hungry and more determined to hop out. They were looking pretty rough last night, so I milked one of my goats and syringe fed the three kits some milk just to keep them hydrated until the next feeding. I went to check on them this morning and all but one kit was fed. This one kit had managed to hop back out the nest box and had clearly missed its feeding. Soooo I stuffed it back in with the others. I guess my question is, why are they hopping out? Also, how do I keep it from happening?
Along with this, I noticed that one baby is clearly getting most of the milk. It is huge compared to the others. Is there anything I can do to help the others get milk?
Sorry for all the questions! Lol I’m sure I’ll have more when these are answered.

Also, can anyone tell me what colors these kits are? And what color the mom is? I think the dad was black/black otter or something if I’m remembering right (bought my doe bred). I’m thinking the mom is either broken opal or lilac, but I’m not sure. Thanks!
29699B2A-647F-4817-9824-AFAFB4249869.jpeg
AFB900F9-243F-497E-A8C0-314DE0DCD1C6.jpeg
D563EFBA-B20F-468A-B23A-A0AD4B3229E1.jpeg
4CC62BBF-BF7A-4087-BB1F-70B2DC157052.jpeg

Hi!

Yesterday I discovered three of the five kits outside the nest box lying on the wire. I put them back in and they just leaped right back out.
If they keep escaping maybe your nest box isn't high enough. It is also possible that their mother jumps out the nest too fast with kits still hanging on her tits. You can put nest box into an extra cardboard box with higher sides it should work for another week.

I went to check on them this morning and all but one kit was fed. ..Along with this, I noticed that one baby is clearly getting most of the milk. It is huge compared to the others. Is there anything I can do to help the others get milk?
You can remove the fat one from the nest so it'd skip one feeding and other kits can get more milk. Take some hay and fur from the nest and put it into a separate box and keep it warm, then put him back after feeding when other kits are fat. You can do it every other day so he still be getting milk. For the little one you can feed him manually keep your mother on your lap and bring him to her tits and he'll find milk. You can feed him separately a couple times a day just make sure it's before she feeds other kits so she has milk.

Hello
The mother looks like a broken opal. The babies look like, in that second picture: 3 opals, one that is maybe a lynx? but it's hard to tell at this age, and one castor.

Thank you both for responding. I removed some of the bedding inside the box and it seems to be working. All babies were safely inside the box this morning, and even the runt had a full tummy of milk. I'm still considering moving the chunky baby out for a feeding so that the others can get some milk.

I know it's probably a bit too soon to tell color-wise, but I'm just so excited to see what they turn into! I noticed that with the opal colored kits, one has shimmery silver tips on its fur and the others don't. Would that still be considered opal? I will try to get some better pics this weekend and maybe y'all can help me figure out for sure what they are. Also super excited because they should be opening their eyes Saturday! Lol it's so much fun watching these things change from nearly -hairless lumps to cute, bouncing furballs.

Latest posts

Back