Kit Color - Cream vs Blue Tort?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

išŸ¤hollands

Reaction score
Hi! I had a Holland Lop litter born on September 8 - four healthy beautiful kits. One baby has me stumped on his color.

Mama is a lilac tort VM out of a blue sable magpie VM and a lilac harlequin. Her known genotype is aabbC_ddee(j).
Papa is a black/orange harlequin VM out of a blue/fawn harlequin VM and a sable magpie VM. His known genetoype is AaBBCc(chd)Dde(j)_.
Littermates are a BEW, black harlequin VM, blue point VM(or blue frosty VM, no ticking so far though and plenty of shading so I'm leaning towards blue point).

The baby in question I originally thought was a blue tort. However, as he grew, his belly and inside of his ears got noticeably lighter than the rest of him. I'm beginning to suspect he's a smutty cream, but is that sensible with the genetics? Or do you think he will darken over time and go back to being a blue tort? Or is there another color he might be that I am missing altogether?
Day 2
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 10.05.39 PM (3).jpeg
Day 4
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 10.05.39 PM (2).jpeg
Day 7
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 10.05.39 PM (1).jpeg
Day 8
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 10.10.21 PM (1).jpeg
Today(day 9)
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 10.11.39 PM.jpeg

Glad of any opinions, thank you!

Could be a smutty cream. Almost looks like a blue tort otter, but if you are sure that the dad is Aa then it would have to be a smutty cream

Could be a smutty cream. Almost looks like a blue tort otter, but if you are sure that the dad is Aa then it would have to be a smutty cream
Thanks! Sire has only ever thrown agouti based or self kits so I assumed he was Aa, but he does have otter farther back in his pedigree. He's just never been paired with a doe that brought out that gene I guess! I think I'll go with blue fox for the baby. Such a pretty color!
So because the sire threw an otter color, is his genotype now Aat? Or is he still Aa since that fits genotype form with only 2 letters in the A allele, and just carries otter underneath the self gene?

So because the sire threw an otter color, is his genotype now Aat? Or is he still Aa since that fits genotype form with only 2 letters in the A allele, and just carries otter underneath the self gene?
@SableSteel or anyone else who is good with genetics, could you try to help me out with my question about the sire's genotype in the A allele? and also with the C allele, one of the babies is definitely a sable but the sire has also thrown a blue chinchilla in the past so clearly carries c(chd) and well as c(chl)... do I show that in the genotype? i.e. would he be Cc(chd)c(chl)?
I like to have all the full genotypes of my bunnies available to help me predict litters and also help other breeders identify what they carry if they are interested in a baby!

Latest posts

Back