kipper is getting some meds to treat sneezing and runny nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brimmhere

Reaction score
kipper got a bit of sneezing and snotty nose and we had given him 10 days worth of baytril. it didnt work. he didnt get better but then again he didnt get worse. the doc gave me a newer medication called zenoquin. said its pretty powerful stuff and should knock it out of him. he gave me four pills. im to give kipper a half a pill a day for 8 days. has anyone else used this medication or heard any side effects of it??

just found this online , kinda scary reading the side effects, but doc said he doesnt see any problems arising in kipper from its use.

[align=left]

Brand Name
Zeniquin (Pfizer Animal Health)

Active Ingredient(s)
Marbofloxacin

What is this product used for
Zeniquin is a synthetic broad-spectrum antibacterial agent from the fluoroquinolone class of chemotherapeutic agents, FDA approved for veterinary use in dogs and cats. It is indicated for the treatment of infections associated with bacteria susceptible to marbofloxacin.

Availability
Zeniquin is available by prescription as tablets.

How this product should be used
The usual dose of Zeniquin in dogs and cats is 1.25mg per pound of body weight given once a day.

What are the side effects
Side effects that may occur include loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting in dogs and diarrhea, soft stool and vomiting in cats.

What special precautions are there
Do not use this medication in animals allergic to it or other quinolone antibacterials. Use with caution in animals with CNS disorders. This product may affect the retina of cats. Sucralfate and antacids or foods and supplements containing iron, aluminum, calcium, magnesium and zinc can interfere with Zeniquin and should be avoided. Do not use Zeniquinin cats less than 12 months of age. Use with caution in breeding, pregnant, or lactating animals.

In the event of overdose
Call a veterinarian or veterinary emergency room. Symptoms of overdose may include loss of appetite, vomiting, dehydration, excessive salivation, tremors, reddened skin, facial swelling.

How should I store this product
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed. Store tablets at room temperature, away from excess heat, light and moisture.Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Keep this medication out of the reach of children and pets.

[/align]
This information sheet is for educational purposes only and is intended to be a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise and professional judgment of your veterinarian. The information is NOT to be used for diagnosis or treatment of your pet. You should always consult your own veterinarian for specific advice concerning the treatment of your pet.

The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions,precautions, warnings, allergic reactions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for your pet. It is not a substitute for a veterinary exam, and it does not replace the need for services provided by your veterinarian.

Note: Any trademarks are the property of their respective companies

I'm not familiar with this particular drug, but it is in the same class as Baytril. In general, these drugs are well-tolerated by rabbits.

Hi Brimmhere,

As per usual, Naturestee is right on target. Zeniquin is in the same class of antibiotics as Baytril, although it's a 'newer' drug.

You should be prepared to expect the same outcome as Baytril if Kipperis immune to Baytril. You might suggest trying a different type ofantibiotic if Zeniquin doesn't work. You may have to step into a different class of antibiotic. Chloramphenicol (sp?) if the Zeniquin doesn't work. Chloramphenicol (sp?) is very effective with rabbits,however, there are nasty side effects in humans and can cause A-Plastic Enemia in humans if not handled properly, which is why many vets won't recommend it.

A human has to wear disposable gloves when in contact with it. It comes in injectible and oral form. If you were to get the pills, you would have to wear gloves to take the pill out of the bottle to put it in water so that you can give it orally.

Another option, if not that is Septra or a sulfa drug. It's a different class of antibiotics and given for respiratory symptoms. Also very effective.

Injectible penicillin is another option.
If there's a resistance to one drug in one same class, there's resistance to the other of the same class.

Another option is Cipro instead of Baytril. They're similar, but not quite the same.

I wouldn't be afraid of Zeniquin, but I would watch closely as to how effective it is behaving.

-Carolyn

thanx for all the great info,i will see what this med does over the next 4 to 5 days. if no change i will get back with the vet on trying a different corse ofaction. kippers been eating great, drinking great and very active (for a flemish lol) so no changes in attitude or behaviors, just cant seem to knock out this darn sneezing and snotty nose. its sometimes clear snot and sometimes a white color. its not gotten worse nor better. we havent changed foods, hay and dont use any cleaning products in the house that would affect him so im not sure what even brought this on with him. but will keep everyone posted on how it goes!

Please do keep us posted, Brimmhere.

Kipper's our family.

Prayers, Thoughts and Love go out to you and Little Mon.

:pray:

-Carolyn

The spelling is Chloramphenical or ...col.

:dunno:

Carolyn, I'm thinking that Brimmhere's vet is doing the same thing that my sister's doctor has done to her with some success- when an infection was stubborn but not resistant he gave her a much stronger medicine of the same class. It cleared up the infection, but my sister being who she is promptly broke out in nasty hives due to an allergic reaction. Ah, the joys of being prone to infections but allergic to antibiotics!

That actually reminded me- because it is a stronger med, Kipper might have more of a reaction to it than to Baytril. It might not show up immediately, though. My sister's reaction showed up after the first few days.

Hi Naturestee,

Your poor sister and that little baby she's tending to. I'm glad that it the meds worked for the little one. Thanks for sharing that story. Interesting.

Hoping and praying it'll follow suit for Kipper.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Hi Naturestee,

Your poor sister and that little baby she's tending to. I'm glad that it the meds worked for the little one. Thanks for sharing that story. Interesting.

Hoping and praying it'll follow suit for Kipper.

-Carolyn

Baby? My sister has a baby? And she didn't tell me! LOL!:p Although she has been wanting one. Hmm.

My sister is always fascinating to me. She's had on and off infection issues (kidneys, ears, ear piercings, etc.) since she was 16. I keep telling her that if she ate she wouldn't have these problems. She's model-thin! :shock: So, so jealous. Of course, I pick on her for being a vegetarian, too, and being a lawyer, and being a lawyer in NYC, etc.

You know, someone once told me that New York has more lawyers than people. Warren Buffett (1930-)

sorry to hear about Kipper's cold! :?I'll be praying for a quick recovery and that these new anti-biotics will work!

fyi ...in case this drug class is not effective on Kipper... when Vickyhad a cold she was put on SMZ for 10 days. SMZ is a sulfonamide asCarolyn had mantioned. Her symptoms were gone within a few days andshe's been tip-top since .. and didnt have any adverse reactions to it..no lethargy, ate normal, etc.

Feel better Kipper!

naturestee wrote:

Baby? My sister has a baby? And she didn't tell me! LOL!:p Although she has been wanting one. Hmm.

My sister is always fascinating to me. She's had on and off infection issues (kidneys, ears, ear piercings, etc.) since she was16. I keep telling her that if she ate she wouldn't have these problems. She's model-thin!:shock: So, so jealous. Of course, I pick on her for being a vegetarian,too, and being a lawyer, and being a lawyer in NYC, etc.

You know, someone once told me that New York has more lawyers than people. Warren Buffett (1930-)

Wuups, Sorry about that! Obviously read that one wrong! Tell your sister, I didn't mean to blow her cover. :wink:

It's amazing how many meds cross between humans and animals.I think Baytril is the only one that is really strictly for animals, but don't quote me on that.

-Carolyn

i think im giving the vet a call again monday, hes just started these new pills but doesnt seem to be a change,(third dose of medswas today) hes actually been sneezing more today and a bit more snotty. we took him for a trip outside in the play pen (first time for a few weeks) and he really started sneezing like mad, and a bit of watery eyes. so im almost wondering, possibly allergies?? im just wondering since the baytril didnt work and this is in the same class, i would of thought by now with three doses out of 8 that there may be some changes starting.. but maybe im hoping a bit to early..

here is the signs he is showing.....

sneezing, snotty nose, most times clear , sometimes white, clear eyes, great appetite, drinking great, no loose stools, just as active as he normally is, no labored breathing, .....

if it is possibly allergies and nothing more serious, what is the normal course of treatment??

we already use feeders that are slotted as to get rid of dust from his food, i always shake the hay a good deal as to try and get the dust off and we change his liter box like every 2days. we havent changed any items as in food or liter, or used in products in the house to clean with to irritate him.

ive always been so careful about thatbeing we have a bunny in the household

while i was at the show today i was talking to one of the flemish breeders about kippers sneezing and runny nose, she swore by vetRX so i bought some. smells a lot like vicks lol said to put some drops in his water and also a few drops on his nose to clear up congestion. does anyone else use this stuff and how do you like it? i put 2 drops on kippers nose and boy did he hate the smell lol but at this point im willing to try whatever will help clear up his nose. he is also still on the zeniquin for 4 more days.

I've used VetRx and had some success with it. It took care of the symptoms. Not sure it will be a solution for Kipper, but keep an eye on it.

I look forward to hearing what the vet says about Zeniquin today. The little one may need a bit more time on it to see if it's effective. Let us know what he/she says, brimmhere.

-Carolyn

phoned the vet while i was at work today, we have 2 doses of the zeniquin left and weare trying childrens benedryl, 2 doses tonite and one tomorrow. vet said to call him tomorrow and see if that helps, he is trying to rule out allergies, if no improvment he is going on a sulfa drug. we have been watching for things that may have caused this and have noticed he loves to root his nose down in his hay and food and then immediatly starts sneezing and runny nose. hubby called me at work today and said he pulled a small piece of hay out of his nose today yukkk.

got some new meds from the doc today .....

trimethoprim / sulfa

2xdaily for 10days. he said if after a week no change, we will give him a week off of meds and do some cultures to find out whats going on. fingers crossed this works!!

You mean they gave your bunny medicine without doing a culture first? :? I hope you're bunny is going to be okay.I know the worry and stress you're going through. I have definitely had my fair share of problems with Iszy. I will be praying for the culture to come out clear. :pray:

Latest posts

Back