King Kirby's Rabbit Nation 2011

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
September 15, 2011

It's been too long since I updated this blog for Kirby.

Tomorrow I go away on a 4 day trip so the royals are going to have the court jester (their uncle) serving them for that time. I sure hope everything will go smoothly and no one gives me any heart attacks while I am unable to be with them. Toby finished his molt (whew! it was a long one!) but Kirby and Penny are still shedding around their bums, and a lot of furballs come off daily. Hopefully it'll be fine. If there's one thing Penny's taught Kirby, it is that eating tons and tons of hay is a good thing.

How's Kirby been? King Kirby has been doing spectacularly well. He is getting more royal by the day. Truly, everyone around him serves him more and more diligently as time goes by, including Penny. He is such a sweetheart. We all do it willingly :)

He spent his 5th birthday being very, very happy being doted on by all the slaves. He got a big chunk of banana as a special treat. With every passing birthday, I get more and more somber. It is a reminder that my favorite boy in the entire world is getting older. I try not to think about it, but on birthdays it's hard to ignore. He is generally still quite active. He binkies when he is in the mood, but he doesn't bop around all over as much as he used to. I think in part it is due to him getting a little older, but also in part because he is just so comfortable with his environment. I haven't done any major rearranging of the rabbit nation in a while and there is no need for him to re-inspect his territory for approval. :wink He is just happy and healthy with life, I think. So for that, in this very moment, I am thankful.

Penny is still on and off naughty, leaving her poops and urine here and there sometimes. But she has gradually improved overall. She is still a sweetie to people and to her beloved Kirby. My husband thinks there is something fishy going on between Toby and Penny because Penny often hangs out by the baby gate on one side and Toby hangs out flopped on the other side.... Curious, no?

And of course, Sir Toby has been living the fabulous life of young royalty. Toby is very lively and loves his human slaves more all the time. He loves to wait by the gate for me and he sometimes follows me around. I hit a really tough patch in my life lately and spent many, many days at home feeling down in the dumps. It was as if he knew I was sad. He was extra sweet, super well-behaved, and he always knew when I was saddest because he would come and beckon me to play. Toby always knows how to make me smile. He is a very special creature and there will always be a special place in my heart for this beautiful bun. It is really amazing to think how far he has come since he was a wascally wittle baby bun bun. :hearts

So I did my normal checks on all the buns today to make sure they were ready for my trip. Toby's nails were really long so we had to clip them. While I was at it, I figured I'd do Kirby and Penny's too. Kirby went last and for some reason my husband clipped too close and Kirby freaked out. But Kirby often freaks out during nail trims so I thought nothing of it... until my shirt was covered in his blood! I was so scared, and my husband felt so terrible about it. He stopped bleeding pretty quickly and honestly he took it very well. We ceased trying to clip the rest because we felt so awful! Poor Kirby... I think he will be ok, but it breaks my heart to see him bleed!!! And tomorrow I have to get on a plane and not be able to see him for 4 days. How cruel! :X

:dutch

Hi Helen!!! :wave2

I was thinking about you lately, and here you are!! It's so cool when that happens; kinda freaks me out a little. :p

Good to hear that every-bun is doing well. Might need a photo update though.... ;)

Sorry to hear that you were not doing well for a bit. I hope your friends and family were able to help you through it all. You know that you always have your friends on RO to help, if we are able to.

So where are you off to now? I am going toward Madison, WI this upcoming Sunday. Another one of my foster-bun-kids will be going to her forever home. This one is so bitter-sweet because she is such a funny/nice bunny that I am going to be broken-hearted when I leave her. One day I decided that I did what I was supposed to do in her life, said it out loud, and someone inquired about her shortly after. I almost wish I could take my words back....

I hope you have safe and fun travels. Be good to yourself!!

myheart

Hi Helen, great update, glad to hear all Bunnies are doing well.

I agree with Janet we need some new photos.:biggrin2:

Susan:)

September 24, 2011 - When It Rains, It Pours

So I've just gotten back on my feet recently and feeling pretty ok. So as I mentioned before, my husband and I decided to go to California as planned, and visit my Mother in Law. While we were there she got a ton of bad news about her health so now we are having to travel back and forth between NY and CA to help her, until we figure out what to do long term. :( Wish her the best of luck, everyone.

The bun buns are doing well but they are not liking the shortage of staff lately.

DSC_5081.jpg

"Who's leaving this time?"

DSC_5078.jpg

"I hear pineapples come from california! take me with you!"

DSC_4996.jpg

DSC_5066.jpg

DSC_5061.jpg

DSC_5057.jpg

"I am very busy cleaning my coat" :)

DSC_5053.jpg

Toby gets more handsome by the day.

DSC_5070.jpg

Miss Penny

IMG_1056.jpg

Kirby heard that apples were in season. Bring them hither!

IMG_1080.jpg

Something you almost never see. Kirby stealing from Penny's dish!

IMG_1101.jpg

Honeymooning

How I missed the Rabbit Nation, the stories and pics of your bunnies!! They're more and more beautiful!
Lol it seems like you captured a very rare moment when Kirby ate from Penny's plate! Usually she's the one breaking the law and the order in the Rabbit Nation. It seems though that she's been playing according to the rules lately?
Poor Kirby with his nail trimmed too short... sometimes it happens that we can't see well where to cut them... but nothing really bad happens because of that, just some discomfort. I bet he doesn't remember that anymore.
The pic of the honeymoon makes me laugh so much!! haha
And Toby is always handsome, but even more when he's in a suitcase... haha
Keep posting, I love your blog!

myheart wrote:
Hi Helen!!! :wave2

I was thinking about you lately, and here you are!! It's so cool when that happens; kinda freaks me out a little. :p

Good to hear that every-bun is doing well. Might need a photo update though.... ;)

Sorry to hear that you were not doing well for a bit. I hope your friends and family were able to help you through it all. You know that you always have your friends on RO to help, if we are able to.

So where are you off to now? I am going toward Madison, WI this upcoming Sunday. Another one of my foster-bun-kids will be going to her forever home. This one is so bitter-sweet because she is such a funny/nice bunny that I am going to be broken-hearted when I leave her. One day I decided that I did what I was supposed to do in her life, said it out loud, and someone inquired about her shortly after. I almost wish I could take my words back....

I hope you have safe and fun travels. Be good to yourself!!

myheart
Janet, I hope your foster kid went to a beautiful home. The impact you have on the bunnies you foster are a gift from above to them. :) It's hard to let them go, I know.

I was thinking of you and your sweet Patrick a lot right before I left for California, actually. You may not have seen it but there was a big ol' thread in the Rescue Me forum about a bun that a friend of a friend rescued and needed a long term foster home. I was scrambling for a couple days to try to set something up before I remembered the miracles that happen on RO. When I got the picture of Houdini, it just killed me because he was a brownish dutchie and so sweet. I have a soft spot for your sweet angel bun Patrick, and I still wonder if my life would have been different if I trekked out to you and scooped up Andy. I really wanted to just have Houdini for myself because it just seemed like it was meant to be that these people came to me, but the realistic part of me knew it wasn't the right time to bring a 4th bunny into my life. And thank god I did not because lately the stuff going on with my mother in law has us all scared and on our toes. It's hard enough if I had to arrange bunny sitting for 3 buns, but 4? And the 4th one being new and still adjusting...It would have been a disaster. In the end, Houdini ended up with our very own JimD, and *that* arrangement was a match made in heaven. I hope everything goes spectacularly there :) But yeah, the whole time when I didn't know what would happen to him, Houdini was ripping my heart up with memories of Pat and Andy.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Great pictures and captions! I hope your mother in law gets to feeling better soon.

I hope the care situation for her can be worked out without so much traveling for you and your hubby.
Thank you, Dave :) More tests and scans are being done tomorrow... hope we will know more soon. Fingers crossed.

hotmaildeal wrote:
How I missed the Rabbit Nation, the stories and pics of your bunnies!! They're more and more beautiful!
Lol it seems like you captured a very rare moment when Kirby ate from Penny's plate! Usually she's the one breaking the law and the order in the Rabbit Nation. It seems though that she's been playing according to the rules lately?
Poor Kirby with his nail trimmed too short... sometimes it happens that we can't see well where to cut them... but nothing really bad happens because of that, just some discomfort. I bet he doesn't remember that anymore.
The pic of the honeymoon makes me laugh so much!! haha
And Toby is always handsome, but even more when he's in a suitcase... haha
Keep posting, I love your blog!
Hi Vivian! Yes, I have been very behind posting. But I will try to keep up more often now.
Believe me, Penny is still breaking plenty of laws and causing anarchy in the Rabbit Nation. Just not as often, but she will do it when I least expect it :shock: She is generally much more manageable though. :)
My bunnies are sooo comfortable and happy with their lives that I am wondering if "something" is going to hit me in the face one day! It's *too* peaceful! But I am thoroughly enjoying a mostly-peaceful life with my babies!

MarisaAndToby wrote:
Apparently all Toby's love suitcases :p
285084_10150333140442363_506927362_9748748_3411839_n.jpg

I love the royals, and the "shark Toby" picture makes me laugh so hard everytime I see it.
WOW! Classic! I guess Toby's like to travel :biggrin2:
Your Toby is so adorable. He looks like a toy in your avatar!!! Squee!!!

Thanks for thinking of me, Helen. Patrick and Luna are always on my mind. You wouldn't believe it when I tell you that I saw a bonded pair of tortie Dutchies and my heart almost lept out of my chest with every emotion possible. Two little tortie pajama-pants running around together...!!!:biggrin2: Some day it will be a whole herd of bonded Dutchies for me!

I wonder about things like you do also. What if I had said 'no' to my very first foster, Katie.... or my second foster, Andy.... or my third foster Charlie Bear.... I would have been thrilled to have met you for an Andy adoption, but it looks like you couldn't have found a better bond for Kirby. I don't remember seeing so many dbf pics of Kirby before Penney. I think you adopted the right bunny for the right bond.:D

I guess in the meantime I should really make room for another bunny though.... He looks pretty much packed and ready to go visit Auntie Jan. Just tell me when and where to pick him up. ;)

DSC_5078.jpg

myheart wrote:
...I don't remember seeing so  many dbf pics of Kirby before Penney. I think you adopted the right bunny for the right bond.:D

I guess in the meantime I should really make room for another bunny though.... He looks pretty much packed and ready to go visit Auntie Jan. Just tell me when and where to pick him up.  ;)

DSC_5078.jpg
You are right about Penny. Those two bunnies absolutely adore each other's company. Kirby is very happy and relaxed. He DBFs on his own sometimes but more often than not he does it next to Penny. One time both of them plopped down next to each other (heads and backs to each other) and it was the most hysterical thing I'd ever seen! I couldn't whip out the camera fast enough to get a picture though, unfortunately!

Toby? Toby's not going anywhere! I'm keeping all of his identification under lock and key so he stays with me! :)

It just dawned on me that Halloween is coming up very soon... I'm not quite sure I can outdo last year's costumes... Especially Toby's. Remember Toby the Bee?

kirbyultra wrote:
Toby? Toby's not going anywhere! I'm keeping all of his identification under lock and key so he stays with me! :)
But.... but.....he's all packed... You don't want to break his little heart by not letting him travel for a visit, do you? :p

myheart wrote:
kirbyultra wrote:
But.... but.....he's all packed... You don't want to break his little heart by not letting him travel for a visit, do you?  :p
Toby traveling away from me would certainly break my heart :(

Latest posts

Back