Kinda gross - bunny poo ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymommy

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't been on in a quite a while. Lot's of new "faces"

Need some advise please. Baby is 2 1/2 years oldnow. She's acting completely normal in all ways exceptone....her poo

I know there are 2 types of bunny poo. I can't remember whatthis one is called, but the one that's smaller and clumped together andthat they usually eat. Well, Baby has way more than usuallately and I don't know why. I imagine it has something to dowith her diet. But her diet hasn't changed. Sheeats about a cup of Timothy pellets, hay and water every day.Of course she gets veggie treats from time to time.

It's becoming a problem, because she sits on it before I get home everday and it smushes to her floor and it's hardto clean and itdisgusting to clean.

Please, and advise is appreciated.

Various possible causes, but i'd cut down on thepellets. At her age unless she's a large breed she should only have1/4-1/2 cup a day. I'd start with the 1/2 cup & taper down to1/4 in a week or so,, then see how the poo is. If you later slowly addgreens she may only need 1/8 cup pellets.

See also:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

In some cases too much protien can make a rabbitover produce the cecal pellets. Gradually try cutting down her pelletsand see if that makes a difference. What brand isthepelletsand what percent protien is in it?

Do you notice that happens more when she eatsher treats? Bunbun used to have excess cecals before, and westopped giving him treats, and thesoft poostoppedimmediately! Yeah, and also the pellets ;).

Pellets should have 16% protein at the most, less is better. Ingredients are listed on the bag.

Even lower protein pellets might cause excess cecals if therab eats too much of them. Overfeeding pellets seems to be oneof the most common mistakes made by bun owners, possiblybecause 1/8-1/4 cup just looks to small.

But since this should be supplemented with abundant greens &unlimited hay, it is plenty except for a big breed. Overfeeding pelletstends to lead to excess cecals or stasis, probably two of themost common conditions we are called on to address in this forum.

Less is generally more with rabs, since many get little exercise& are more likely to be overfed than underfed. Atleast 3-4 hours of exercise a day outside the cage also helps keep theGI tract (digestion) working well, the muscles toned, & the bunhappy.

Okay, the pellets are probably theproblem. I'll start cutting back. I'm a sucker forthat pitiful face.

Once I start cutting back, how long should it take to start noticing a difference?

Thanks a bunch.

No timetable for improvement, depends partly on how much you cut back at a time.

There is no established schedule that i know of for cuttingback but i'd get it down to the minimum in a week or so (any othersuggestions?, anyone). Make sure he has as much tasty hay ashe'll eat to make up the difference & i expect he'll still loveyou.:)

Dont give your rabbit anything with by-productsor too many treats either. give as much hay as your bun will eat alsogive a lot of fresh greens. this website gives a list of what you canoffer www.kindplanet.org

good luck:)

Thanks for all the advise. She's doingbetter with it, not 100%, but better for sure. I've cut backto 1/3 cup pellets per day, all the hay she can eat and her water.

Latest posts

Back