Kennel Cough and Bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pamnock wrote:
Not necessarily. The puppy would be more likely to contract the illness since its age makes it more susceptible. The other rabbits may or may not be carriers.
If the rabbits were carriers, regardless of the fact that Sydney didn't get it from them, they may not get it, correct? Unless it's a diff strand of Bordatella.

And as far as getting her vaccinated, I heard once they get it once that they may never get it again. Should I just ere on the side of caution and get her one?

Thanks for everyone's help. It's making me a feel a little less stressed. A little less is better than my full blown freak out fest. lol

lalena2148 wrote:
However, I do believe she did get it from the shelter. From what I've been reading, Bordatella takes a while to show up. She was sneezing the day after I got her.

The shelter would have been the most likely place to have picked it up.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
lalena2148 wrote:
However, I do believe she did get it from the shelter. From what I've been reading, Bordatella takes a while to show up. She was sneezing the day after I got her.

The shelter would have been the most likely place to have picked it up.

Pam
Yeah and the prob was the day I adopted her, she had just gotten in from a kill shelter in So. Illinois no more than an hour before. Who knows what the shelter was like down there. I'm sure the trip took a toll on her immune system as well. Poor thing.

You can also cover your clothes with garbage bags when you visit either the rabbits or the puppy, or wear one of those work coveralls with one of them to cut down on spreading.

Good luck with your pup, and I hope the bunnies don't get it.

tonyshuman wrote:
You can also cover your clothes with garbage bags when you visit either the rabbits or the puppy, or wear one of those work coveralls with one of them to cut down on spreading.

Good luck with your pup, and I hope the bunnies don't get it.
You mean just like overalls? Hmmm...never really thought of that.

What I've been doing is taking care of the bunnies last thing at night after I shower and change (puppy is already in her crate) and first thing in the morning (after I change and before the puppy). When I need to get to them fast, I Lysol my shoes (ballet flats), wash my hands with antibacterial soap and hand sanitizer and put on my robe (floor length). I spray the robe with Lysol before I put it on (I let it set in a little bit so it's not harmful). It stinks but I think it helps. So, far, so good with the bunnies. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: I also had bought a lot of paintdrop clothes because I was going to paint my office before all this happened. I use one rolled up on the bottom of their door to block any bad stuff from getting in as much as possible. Sydney can't go by their room at all, but just in case she tries to break out, she won't be able to sneeze under the door.

Latest posts

Back