keepng bun warm outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanx for all the advice @Hermelin . gonna start working on it. what size do u think is adequate? i know bigger is always better, but what is decent? also, can he stay in the run enclosure most of the day, and just go into the hutch at night?

I let my bunnies have access to the run most of the day and during night time I lock them in.

I have foxes in my area, so my bunnies have to be locked in the cages.

I would say a decent size on a hutch would be length 180, wide: 80 cm. Smallest size for a holland lop would be 150*80 cm, which my indoor cage have that size.

The hight of the cage, should be so high that your bunny can stretch fully on the back legs without bumping into the roof.

In the picture you can see the size compared to my holland lop mix:

IMG_4209.jpg

My hutch it’s on the bigger side because it’s (length:260cm, wide: 115 cm), really not a smart idea being so wide. Because it’s really hard cleaning the cage, the arms are too short [emoji23]

Make sure the whole front can open with doors, easier when you clean. Myself did many mistakes on my first hutch ever built but at least it taught me what to think about next time. While doing the new adjustments to fix those mistakes.

hi guys. the weather has dropped considerably here in the last couple of days!! Currently, it is 29 degrees Fahrenheit. tomorrow, it will warm up to 56 degrees Fahrenheit... the question here is: how cold is TOO cold? Should I bring him inside for the night? I know that sudden temperature changes are not good for rabbits. my parents don't want him in the house permanently though so i would have to bring him back outside tomorrow morning. please give me advice! thank you!

-4 Fahrenheit you will have to think about how to fix a warmer place for your bunny. So they at least can escape the cold.

Myself have outdoor bunnies and sometimes during winter it can be -4 Fahrenheit’s but a lot of straws, protected from the wind and off the ground with a little warm bottle will keep them happy. At my place it rarely happens, but sometimes it can spike down to that temperature during winter time. Often when it happens it’s during night time.

If I lived more north I would have to isolate the cage so the warmth won’t escape ^^

I’m pretty sure your bunny have winter fur. So taking him in would make him overheat instead and that’s more dangerous. Bunnies handle cold better than warmth most of the time. Don’t think he’s like my indoor bunny that hate the cold and will sleep on the heating element while getting super warm.

Latest posts

Back