Keeping two male rabbits together

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izabelle

Reaction score
I recently discovered that my male + female bonded rabbits turns out to be two males.

Right now that not an issue since they love each other's company and show nothing but compassion for each other.
But I'm a bit worried since people always say that you shouldn't keep male rabbits together.

My oldest rabbit is 1 year and he's neutered. The younger one is roughly 4 months old and not neutered yet.

Is there something I should be worried about or watch out for? Is there anyone else that has had a successful male + male bonded pair that could share their experiences, that would be greatly appreciated.

Picture of my babies, they really appreciate the help! <3
20220704_123523.jpg

They're adorable together!!

It is possible for 2 males to bond. It happens rather frequently, actually. Just depends on the personalities of the 2 males. It's best if both are neutered though. Your 4 month old may start showing hormonal behaviors beginning anywhere from now, through the next few months. So keep a close eye as even the snuggliest of rabbits can turn on each other with the onset of hormones.

This is why "bonds" with baby rabbits don't count as true bonds. They are subject to change with the onset of hormones.

Watch for chasing, and especially the younger one starting to try and hump your older rabbit. When this starts happening, you will likely need to separate, as the incessant humping from unneutered male rabbits is usually what sparks off a fight, which could result in serious injuries.

As soon as your young one has his testicles descend, he can be neutered. So I would get that done as soon as he's developed enough to be neutered. With any luck, you can get him neutered before his hormones become a problem. and before you would have to separate them.

I had 3 males bonded before I added a female to the mix and it turned out well. There was a little bit of extra effort required with 2 of them but otherwise, it went well. They are all neutered.
When you get your young one neutered you might have to repeat the bonding process because of the hormonal changes.

Latest posts

Back